What Kind Of Mag Is This?

huntmaster

I've seen pics of a few HT's in UK and European trials with these big squarish mags mounted on them. I thought maybe a BTH...but perhaps not?

A more modern aftermarket electronic one (with a battery pack?) guys are using? I had a devil of a time sorting out my OEM Lucas competition item, which seems to by working well after one final overhaul. Just curious as to what is being used out there and advantages.

Regards, Doug

IMG_0577%20(800%20x%20600).jpg

Guest majestyman340
I've seen pics of a few HT's in UK and European trials with these big squarish mags mounted on them. I thought maybe a BTH...but perhaps not?

A more modern aftermarket electronic one (with a battery pack?) guys are using? I had a devil of a time sorting out my OEM Lucas competition item, which seems to by working well after one final overhaul. Just curious as to what is being used out there and advantages.

Regards, Doug

IMG_0577%20(800%20x%20600).jpg

Some riding Ariels in the Uk specials class are using very trick electronic ignition set ups inside the stock mag body, heard that some of these cost

Yep BJ is correct its a PAL mag used by speedway and grasstrack bikes in days of old.

They are used on big singles (fixed timing point), they can be used as standard i.e. self generating and the spark is triggered by points, they do use a HT coil.

A chap by the name of Fred Stonham did convert them to power and trigger his black box (Interspan) these have a range of advance curves which can be selected by the use of an external switch.

I enquired a couple of years ago and the cost was about

Hello, I also confirm that it is a PAL magneto. I use one of these on my Noriel 600,and I can tell you it works very well, engine can run at very low revs and starts easily despite high compresion and slow kickstarting.

It has fixed advance and external ignition coil.This mag is so good, why should you convert it to electronics??

Christian.

PS; I would like to buy a spare one!!!!!!!

Guest majestyman340
Hello, I also confirm that it is a PAL magneto. I use one of these on my Noriel 600,and I can tell you it works very well, engine can run at very low revs and starts easily despite high compresion and slow kickstarting.

It has fixed advance and external ignition coil.This mag is so good, why should you convert it to electronics??

Christian.

PS; I would like to buy a spare one!!!!!!!

The fact that it has fixed advance is the reason why serious special class riders here in the UK convert them to electronic with proper advance curve for specific engine/application.