00 Rev 3 Airbox Change Out To 02-07 Airbox

grooster

After a reasonable search of the forum I know that it is possible to change out the sub frame assembly and airbox of the 2000-01 Rev 3 250\270 for the later 02-07 airbox. Has anyone actually done this and what was the cost? Pictures are always a good thing if you can share those, too. I noticed that there were as many posts supporting the original box as there were advocating a change to the newer box.

Filters for the 02-07 are easy to come by but I've not had much luck getting my hands on the right filter since it's such an odd duck. I'll eventually have one after getting the 02-07 filter shipped to me by mistake. It's a shame we can't all use the same filter...I could have been riding this weekend instead of waiting on the delivery truck. The filter for my old Gas Gas 321 is a flat piece of foam! The original D shaped filter foam for the Beta died of old age - the bike sat unused in a garage for years until I bought it 3 weeks ago. It came apart in my hands after gently removing from the bike for servicing. The rest of the bike is pristine!

Yes it can be done ,but your not going to like the cost....

The 2000/2001 air filters are ready available over here in the uk and are cheaper than the newer ones...

If your bike is in pristine condition and your not rideing in mud all the time, i would say save your money and buy just the filter.

Heres my 2000 with 06 upgrades...

IMG_9419.jpg

Edited by MIKEE

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I did it too - after the bottom part of the airbox door wouldn't seal on my '00. I had to file away the material where the rear shock connects to the frame. It looked good in the end, and was much more waterproof. It ended up only costing me about NZ$200 from memory.

Yes it can be done ,but your not going to like the cost....

The 2000/2001 air filters are ready available over here in the uk and are cheaper than the newer ones...

If your bike is in pristine condition and your not rideing in mud all the time, i would say save your money and buy just the filter.

Heres my 2000 with 06 upgrades...

IMG_9419.jpg

that looks well nice

what forks are they ?

that looks well nice

what forks are they ?

Thank mate,, forks are standard for a rev3 year 2000.. I call them the "hard work frontend", because they are heavy.They do work very well mind but you don't want a trial with lots of four foot step-ups...

Thank mate,, forks are standard for a rev3 year 2000.. I call them the "hard work frontend", because they are heavy.They do work very well mind but you don't want a trial with lots of four foot step-ups...

i dont want a trial with ANY four foot step ups !

they obviously went back to conventionals from USD's ?

what fat bars and clamps you got ? ( i'm presuming they're fatbars)

i've been looking at some renthals