Gale Petro

bwc352

Gale Petro passed away this past Saturday, March 15th, while practicing for the upcoming trials season. While the autopsy has not yet been completed, initial indications are that he most likely died from either a massive heart attack or an aneurysm. My attempts to resuscitate him were unfortunately unsuccessful. His family and friends take great solace in the fact that he died while doing what he truly loved: riding a trials bike. Gale, more widely known as "the Turtle" competed in trials for 30 years. He established a well known motorcycle repair shop, known as Team Turtle Racing, and supported many motocross, hare scramble, GNCC, and trials riders in their competitive pursuits. According to stories that he relayed to me, his addiction to observed trials began when he attended the 1978 World Round at Roaring Branch, Pennsylvania, and immediately fell in love with the sport. He primarily competed in AMA District 6 and also the Mid-Atlantic Vintage Trials (MAVT) series. However, he also competed in many other districts and series, and I wanted to make sure that all of his many friends knew of his passing. His most recent accomplishments included the 2006 District 6 Senior 35 championship, the 2005 MAVT Twin B championship, and the 2006 MAVT Advanced B Championship. The viewing will be held on Friday, March 21st, at the Dorothy Talipski Funeral home, located in Scranton, Pennsylvania, from 5 to 7 p.m. Directions to the funeral home for those wishing to pay their last respects can be found at the MAVT website ( www.mavt.org ). Gale was an extremely generous and kind person, who loved his family, his friends, and his hobby of trials riding. He will be greatly missed by all. Please keep his wife, Lucy, and his family in your prayers and thoughts.

Brian

Well, I knew Turtle fairly well being in contact with him since 1984. I really don't think I have words that are worthy to display my emotions both for him and his very best riding companion. However, when I passed the tragic news of his passing to a close friend, he had the following to say:

Quote: "I am stunned.When I went to my first D6 meet, Turtle is the first person to approach me, introduce himself and others, and made me feel welcome. That's the kind of guy he was. He rode a TY250 then. He loved trials, and I guess it really makes me think. He died on his trials bike. He'll be missed and remembered.

Thanks Westy, I think you summed up Gale very well....

Edited by titanium

i've only met turtle a handful or more times but he was nothing but nice and genorous to me, he was fun to ride with and he always made the events fun too. he will be missed dearly. all of us members of the P.T.R send our prayers to his wife and family...............John B.