Trailer Advice Wanted

boofont

The bike rack didn't go to well with the new car, time to invest in a single bike trailer. Any recommendations for a low cost new or second hand trailer manufacturer or supplier? Dave Cooper makes one that seems good value, has any one got any experience of their trailers?

Edited by boofont

My only advice, when looking at trailers is to ensure that it has good lashing-down points, both front and rear.

The best way to tie the bike down is from the handlebars outward. So the wider the angle from there to the lashing point the better.

Brought a single trailer myself a while back, home made job from an engineer - but worth every penny.

Have a good look at what's available on ebay - that way you can see what's out there, and what sort of money people want for a good trailer.

Cheers - Boner.

I have had an Erde trailer for a number of years now and it is spot on. You can get them from a number of places but I got mine from my local Indespension dealer.

They are not cheap but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. They tow very well, have proper wheels, are well finished and best of all you don't need to faff about with lighting boards!

I had a quick look and there are a couple of 2nd hand ones for sale on Ebay right now.

The first trailer I brought was "home" engineered it was strong enough but it did'dnt tow well at all. I would advise getting a known brand such as Dave Cooper. I managed to get a 2nd hand one of ebay and it is 100 time better. In fact when towing you hardly know it's there !!.

We have a Bateson 120V van type trailer which is perfect for trials. Will carry 2 (maybe 3) bikes and all your gear with the advantage or them not getting wet (or spotted by thieves) on the road. They're not particularly cheap though and not many around 2nd hand - worth it though.

Just one thing though, to keep within the law, make sure the kerbweight of your car is 1500kg or more. You can't tow an unbraked trailer plated at more than 50% of the kerbweight of the towing vehicle (even if it isn't fully loaded!) Most trailer manufacturers will down rate your trailer if required by supplying a new plate as per your requirements.

This my trailer,its good because it doesnt need much room for storage,you pull out the light board,then lean it up against the wall,but if storage is not a problem,then may be you should go for the normal type of trailer.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/f...git/trailer.jpg

link working now

Edited by dabomb

I use a normal trailer with sides on, it has other uses that are useful to me and if you have tie down failure your bikes cant fall out!!!!

Its been professionally made and has brakes!!! that actually work!! It also has larger 14in wheels and tows fine at any speed (100)!! :hyper:

And as its pulled by Scooby power you can easily pass those Sunday drivers on the way home!!

I bought a one bike trailer years ago, second hand. The bloke had made it himself from a caravan A frame, then just fabricated the bit to hold the bike from L section steel.

At the time it cost me

Edited by bikespace

• 3 weeks later...
Why not try one of these

Click Me

Bit more money but a good idea if you don't have much space.

The AA towed my CBR600 home on one of those when it broke a few years ago, it looked dodgey too small and unstable even for a trials bike.

• 4 months later...