Kermit Bike

motovintage

picked up the italjet, not sure how to identify the model, pretty sure it's a 250 as I think the 350 has a different exhaust, the motor seems pretty sound, good comperssion etc. I think it will make an easy restoration, I really need the left engine cover and shift pedal, a seat would be nice but I can fabricate a seat if I have to

italjet250za2.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks to be a 350, as the crankcases are green. (250's were black)

The engine No. is by the kickstart, it will be T3 for 350, or T2 for 250.

All 250's and 350's had the same exhaust. The VERY early 350's had a single outlet, production versions had the type yours has.

Cool bike. I don't remember ever seeing one before.

Bernie Schriber rode them at world rounds for a couple of years, then that was it, I never saw them again, Tom Batcholor was selling them in the early eighties, and there was only a few of them in Texas as far as I know, I would be very interested in production numbers, my bet is they are pretty low, the bike seems really well made, Chrome molly tubing, betor forks, notice the fox shocks mounted upside down ( they won't dampen if they are upside down)

also this bike seems very Bultacoish to me, the frame is very simmilar to the last Sherpa's with the intergal skidplate, the cylinder and exhaust have a bultaco style look to them, also the front fork and tripple clamp are practically identical to the Sherpa

berniesl3.jpg

Edited by MotoVintage

Your bike is 1981. 1982 MY had Marzocchi forks, white tanks etc.

This one is identical to my VERY early one that I use all the time...1980.

350t.jpg

And this may even be my bike, as it is identical in detail...taken from a French test Dec 1980.

frenchmagitaljet.jpg

This one is the "production" version. Note the differences in the frame (especially shock absorber mounts), tank (prototytpe is fibreglass hand made, production is blow moulded) exhaust totally different.

bignewitaljet.jpg

This is the 1982 model...

it350.jpg

Your bike is 1981. 1982 MY had Marzocchi forks, white tanks etc.

This one is identical to my VERY early one that I use all the time...1980.

350t.jpg

Do you think that any left side engine cover will work, 250 or 350? 1980 to 1982

also was this the only years that the italjet was produced?

ANY side cases will fit ANY 250 or 350, so no problems there.

Steve Goode has some new ones, have a look on ebay for betatr250 (I think), or google his name, that should lead you to him.

He is a decent bloke, and will sort you out with what you need. I don't think he has any green cases left, just bare ali ones.

With Bernie, I think the prototype Italjet was good (hence the initial successes), the production version he was made to ride wasn't as good, so the early rounds in 1981 he struggled with, resulting in him jumping ship to SWM mid-season.

I personally prefer riding my Italjet to the equivalent Bultaco (which we also have), but I'll probably be pilloried for this statement.

A lot of people who knock them forget that 28 years on, there is little difference in all the bikes, it's now down to what condition and state of preparation each bike is in, and more importantly, how good the individual rider is!

These are the views of a GENUINE heretic, so treat them with huge PINCHES of SALT!

I personally prefer riding my Italjet to the equivalent Bultaco (which we also have), but I'll probably be pilloried for this statement.

A lot of people who knock them forget that 28 years on, there is little difference in all the bikes...

Except for the fact that one is painted a disturbing shade of green... ;)

What is supposed to be here? there is a brass bushing in the hole like a shift shaft should be there but no seal and it appears that the shifting mechanism is the small lever to the left of the hole

italjetshiftshaftjl4.jpg

Edited by MotoVintage

That hole is for when you have the gear lever on the right hand side (and the brake pedal on the left), which is my prefered set up. The brake pedal interferes with the kick start, and the right hand brake uses a cable, which is not as good as the rod when on the left.

Coming from a 350 Enfield, it was much easier too! The only downside is that the gearchange loses some of it's precision.

So don't worry, there is nothing missing from your bike. You may need to plug it up if oil is leaking though. You'll notice there is a core plug under the kickstart, which is where the gearlever comes through if using right-hand side change.

I don't think any of the Italjet parts are Bultaco, apart from the the common Betor suspension bits.

Bernies very first prototype may have been more Bultaco based, but can only find two pics of that one, and they are both poor.

Does anyone have any more Kermit pics please?

Cheers