Kermit Bike

motovintage

italjetfan I've got the pics hosted on my free webspace and there should be links through from my post. Not too sure why you can't see them, unless it's got something to do with the size maybe, although they're not that big really. I'll pm the URLs through to you direct if you like.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Had the 50cc model. Didnt last very long on it! Went from a Ty80 to the Italjet 50, was really taken in by its looks but it was soooo underpowered. Geometry was spot on but it just lacked any punch. Dad quickly traded it in for a Montesa 125 cota which was much better (thanks dad!).

Always wondered what the bigger bored versions were like..................

I was told recently that early on that italjet were the italian Bultaco importers , and the first italjets were Bultaco's painted green.

Somebody may correct me on this!.

Have alook at this site, great for looking at models of most trials bike-

look here

Right you are Mate. Green Bultacos.

That bike cost Schreiber at least one and most likely 2 World Titles.

The all green Kermit Krasher is not my style, but the white plastics on the later model make it look better.

Could be, but wasn't Bernies run on the Italjet pretty impressive? Something like 4 world rounds one after the other? If the prototype Italjet was only a green painted Bulty it might explain things. The move to the production version in 81 was what caused him to move away from Italjet.

The only pics I have of the one he had his run on don't give much detail away. Certainly by '81 he was on a more or less standard bike...

The 2 mechanical DNF's on the Green Bultaco in 1980 cost him the title. I believe he won 6 rounds that year.

and by 1981 he was on the standard bike, which was a pig.

by the time he got onto a good bike (SWM) Lejeune had come into his own.

Edited by for artie

Do you know what engine the "green Bultaco" had? the photo's show Italjet writing on the primary case, but I can't workout what it is.

How much of a Bultaco was it? There was a story that it had "Bultaco 1980" on all the bolt-heads... The front brake certainely looks Bultaco.

See the picture of him on it on the brochure shot balancing. As far as I can tell, that bike is the "green Bulty".

as far as I know Bernie's World Championship bike of 1980 was mostly Bultaco except the engine cases.

Frame, forks, wheels, gearbox, cylinder, piston, head, exhaust, airbox etc...all Bultaco

someone surley know more....

Edited by for artie

We need photos! Surely a run of 6 world rounds on a brand new bike got someone reaching for the camera?

Even if it was a Bulty, there must have been some interest in it.

This is the only pic I can find of the "green bulty" apart from the brochure shot...

italco.jpg

I've just noticed, if that bike is a Bultaco painted green, how does it manage to have a right hand kickstart?

There is more to this than meets the eye.

Anyone with any info or pics?

There was a Trial Shop called Bay Area Bultaco in Los Angeles back in the 80's . Bruce and Howard were the owners and were good friends of Bernie. Bruce had an origional "works" Jet and the word was the engine was a Bultaco with the side cases welded and modified to look simular to the soon to arrive Jet. Although I personally never saw the machine, knowing Bruce, he still has it. (unless his wife thru it out.)

This is good info! Is there any way to chase it up?

The cases definately look like they have ITALJET wording on them.

It still doesn't explain the RHS kick start that can clearly be seen in the photo though!

The bottom frame tube where the front engine mount picks up looks more Italjet than Bultaco as well.

If he won 6 world rounds on that bike, there must be some more photo's of it surely?

I've just noticed, if that bike is a Bultaco painted green, how does it manage to have a right hand kickstart?

There is more to this than meets the eye.

Anyone with any info or pics?

Are you sure thats a kickstarter or could it be the frame tube, looks too far in the rear to be a kickstart lever.