Gasgas V Beta , First Bike Dilemma

mrgas

hi

i've just sold my enduro bike (gasgas ec300) i'm now on the lookout for my first trials bike

i've never owned or rode a trials bike , but its something i've wanted to do for a long while

now with enduros seeming to cost more to enter and a never ending tyres , chain , sprockets , brake pads bill , i've decided to give trials a go

i've owned my 2005 gasser for two years and enjoyed it immensely , so i'm happy with the gasgas brand

problem is i like the look of the BETA REV 3 270 as well

whats the better bike the gasser or the beta ? whats the main differences or is it a personal thing ?

i've had similar arguements about enduro bikes i.e KTM V GASSER V HUSKY etc etc

any thoughts please ?

hi

firstly, dont get a 270... theres no need... at any level , especcially as a newbie, a 250 is more than enough.

i used to own a gas gas and i now own a beta... the reason i changed was for a change. to be honest they both have there faults and they both have the advantages. I would choose the beta becuase i think it looks better and the 250 sound great

hope this helps,

Guest majestyman340

If you have never ridden a trials bike, might it be a good idea to try and get rides on all of the different bikes before narrowing your choice to just 2 makes?

try all the bikes you can. do not rule out a 200 cc bike as too much power is a bad thing.

trust me i came back to trials a few years ago from a KTM300 ont a 270 beta, big mistake, sold it six months later for a 200 , my riding improved overnight.

Just to add my comments....

I started out trials 5yrs ago on a Gas Gas 250 pro - but the bike was just too much for me - especially coming from MX - I was a bit throttle happy !

Then moved to a Scorpa 125 4T - improved my riding no end. Then a Beta 200 - excellent bike - loads of traction and very very well built. Moved to Scorpa 250 which again, is an excellent choice.

This year moved back to a Beta with a new 250. Main reasons - build quality and rideability.

Not knocking Gas Gas in any way - but my choice would be Beta (200 or 250) - or Scorpa 250.

270's are great, nothing wrong with having one of those if your used to the power of an enduro bike.

Being "used to the power of an enduro bike" has no relevance to picking the right trials bike.

It makes as much since as reasoning that an airline pilot should find "nothing wrong" with buying a top fuel dragster, sinply because he is already "used to" handling all the power of a jet plane.

A new (to trials) rider already has a steep learning curve, with a lot of new skills to master, including throttle control. Making it worse, by adding even more power to the equation, wouldn't be a wise choice. Any of the 200cc 2-strokes, or a Scorpa SY175F/SY200F would be a great starter bike.

mrgas,

I understand what others are talking about in regard to power but....to say that no one needs a 270 is a little much. Throttle and clutch control (along with balance) are key, but you will adjust to your bike in no time and be just fine. I also chose an 07 beta 270 for various reasons, including one which is I ride in very hilly conditions (lots and lots of hill climbs). I am not heavy 6'2" tall @ 180 lb (67kg).

Another reason for someone too choose the 270 is that (unfortunately) people are over weight (this is not only in the U.S.). So.........for those who like to eat cake and cookies instead of vegetables, get out and ride that 270 and loose some fat. ;)

I recommend you train the first diget on your left hand, the clutch finger. It controls power application better than anything else on the bike. Using second gear a lot forces you to be smoother in application and finding the grip on a big bike. You can settle it a bit with a slow throttle, a timing change if need be, also a heavy flywheel, but finger training is probably the most important thing you will ever do. You can rev it to the moon, but it will only go as far as the finger allows!

Have fun! ;)