Rear Shock

shercoman2k8

ive had my sherco about a month now.

saturday the bike was running perfect! put it in the garage.

came out on the sunday took it out the garage went for a ride.

done a few splatters then riding down the road i noticed the shock had gone really soft.

i hopped of and checked the bike over.

nothing noticeable.

and every time i do an endo or even just a little hop there is a big "clonk" it sounds like its coming from around the shock!

any help apreaciated!

IF ITS THE SHOCK THAT'S HAD IT TRP DO A REPLACEMENT AND THEY ARE A REALLY GOOD SHOCK AND MAYBE CHEAPER THAN STANDARD ONE. PLUS THEY DO A SPRING TO YOUR WEIGHT GIVE BVM A CALL THEY WILL SORT YOU OUT

and where did my second post in here dissapear to exactly?

strange. the gremlins are sabotaging my posts. because it's the third one of mine that have dissapeared in the past month. Also anyone that can help with this?

cheers mark!

i checked bvm but they dont have a price so i will phone them sometime tomorow.

jamie

and where did my second post in here dissapear to exactly?

strange. the gremlins are sabotaging my posts. because it's the third one of mine that have dissapeared in the past month. Also anyone that can help with this?

jamie

Jamie,

Take a look at the Pm i've sent you, might help

d

ive had my sherco about a month now.

saturday the bike was running perfect! put it in the garage.

came out on the sunday took it out the garage went for a ride.

done a few splatters then riding down the road i noticed the shock had gone really soft.

i hopped of and checked the bike over.

nothing noticeable.

and every time i do an endo or even just a little hop there is a big "clonk" it sounds like its coming from around the shock!

any help apreaciated!

It's unusual for a shock to crap out on a bike that new. I'd remove the shock, take off the spring (first measure where the preload is so you can put the spring back the same way) and try pushing on the shaft to see if the problem really is the shock. From what you describe, it should be evident. I'm not sure what type of shock it is (Olle'?) but in rare cases, the retainer that holds the "shim stack" (the set of special washers that actually control damping) can come loose which will make the shock "soft".

Some shocks have a "top out" spring just below where the seal resides (the seal and aluminum collar combined, held in with the circlip, is called a "seal head") but most rely on hydraulic resistance, like front forks use a "bottoming cone" to soften the stroke on full compression (and cartridges in the forks have top out springs in them to soften full rebound). If the shock has lost pressure, it usually will leak out oil as the seal is designed to use pressure to seal against the shaft, but you should see oil on the shock body.

Jon

• 1 month later...

that same thing happened to my 06 olle shock, i was at an event ready to start and i did a nose wheelie and it clunked! tore the threads right out of the base! r.y.p sent me a new base and i got it recharged all for 100.00 bucks! i had to borrow my buddies 03 shock for a week but it has been fine ever since!................john