Chain Cleaning

francley40

Apologies for a subject that must have been covered in the past, but does anyone have a really quick and effective method.

Cleaning the chain must be the least fun part of trialsing so I'd like to know the quickest way to get all the crud off and the best lubricant, please.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Suppose it depends on what you put on your chain after you wash your bike, because it could be the same stuff you are trying to get off after your days trialing.

What I mean is I am not a lover of any of the branded chain lubes as they tend to be greasy and tacky and do the job of sticking to the chain nicely! that means that all the mud and dirt sticks to your chain nicely too ;) so it can be more than hard work to get your chain clean.

I have used WD40 for years now with no real problem and no excesive chain/sprocket wear the advantage of this is the chain is really easy to clean and once the bike is washed blow the links out with an air gun and use the WSD40.

I use a Renthal R1 chain too best heavy duty non 'o' ring chain on the market in my opinion.....................

take it off, lay in parafin for an hour, scrub with soft brush. Drip dry and then lay it in a can of old motor oil. Drip dry over night. Clean sprockets with degreaser and rag and refit. Us spray lube. 8Alternativly boil when cleaned in chain wax before refitting. Its the only real way of keeping clean and such a chain will last a good season that way, lee

Suppose it depends on what you put on your chain after you wash your bike, because it could be the same stuff you are trying to get off after your days trialing.

What I mean is I am not a lover of any of the branded chain lubes as they tend to be greasy and tacky and do the job of sticking to the chain nicely! that means that all the mud and dirt sticks to your chain nicely too ;) so it can be more than hard work to get your chain clean.

I have used WD40 for years now with no real problem and no excesive chain/sprocket wear the advantage of this is the chain is really easy to clean and once the bike is washed blow the links out with an air gun and use the WSD40.

I use a Renthal R1 chain too best heavy duty non 'o' ring chain on the market in my opinion.....................

Exactly what I have done for years and seems to work great and my chain and sprockets last as long as any of my fellow riders. I also don't hesitate to lube between loops during and event. Also I take the chain off before washing the bike. Also does a great hob of keeping your spockets clean. Doesn't have all that sand and grit built up to act like a grinding compound and wear everything down quicker.

I must be the lone dissenter-I don't pressure wash the chain as it drives moisture into the pin area, even past orings. Since pin to bushing is the only wear point that matters, it shorteden the chain life a lot for me. I use degreaser, garden hose and brush butr avoid the sideplate ares.

mainly, i use oring chain, and wd40 to lube the orings. WD is crappy light for actual pin lubrication. but better that than totally dry on a non 0-ring chain..

I've tried all sorts of tacky lubes and moly lubes and while they work great in clean environments, I think they simiply hold grit and act as abrasive compounds. Found out accidentally when I bought a buddies bike, who never cleaned or lubed it, that running it dry actually works well and saves sprockets better. I do lube the side plates to keep the o-rings pliable and free from sticking to the side plates, and prevent rusting.

k

Found out accidentally when I bought a buddies bike, who never cleaned or lubed it, that running it dry actually works well and saves sprockets better.

Another interisting observation that goes along with the WD-40 theory!

And all I can say is that it does seem to be well proven by many over the years now, to wear just as well as anything else you can do, no matter how labor intensive! And when it is done, chunk it! :D

some interesting points here and time for another newbie question me thinks :D

on my enduro bike (300 gasser) i always had an o-ring chain , my question is does anyone use them on trials bikes or are they simply not needed ?

thanks