2 Cycle Motors In California

hop_sing

How long will we be able to ride our two cycle bikes in California?

I am thinking about a new bike and wonder if I should consider A four cycle due to whats happining with watercraft and other laws. It really doesn't make sense to me because even the new 4rts are getting red stickers here. I guess it is like everything else enjoy it will you can. If anyone thinks they know something about new laws on this matter please let us know.

It sounds like you guys have thought police , health & safety officers and general do gooders as well, no doubt all paid for out of your taxes..what we folk outside of USA can't understand is how the devil can can you be penalised restrained controlled (call it what you want) regarding a handfull of off road bikes (and it looks like you got plenty of off road) when you have gas guzzling trucks cars planes in fact just about every polluting factor going being advertised and sold to you as the way to live? It seems from observing this not unique situation in several countries that you have to act according to your concience. e.g. the French will fight for every last right of access and freedom and if not simply resort to anarchy,.... I have a Swiss friend who has got himself a united nations pollution inspector badge which enables him to ride in open country in Switzerland; Here in the UK we appear to be just keeping our heads up with concerted organized opposition. It would be interesting to hear of how other off road (particularly trials) folk are doing elsewhere in the world. (I seem to have fallen straight into the divide and rule trick there vis enduro, moto cross, green laners, quad bikes , 4 wheels drive vehicles.) It is a very rightous thing to be or think you are are "green" perhaps we could universally become inspectors for the U.N. or find such similarly acceptable functions.one thing for sure there is no way we can "fight" it head on being such a minority group.. there just isn't any political gain in representing lepers.

It sounds like you guys have thought police , health & safety officers and general do gooders as well, no doubt all paid for out of your taxes..what we folk outside of USA can't understand is how the devil can can you be penalised restrained controlled (call it what you want) regarding a handfull of off road bikes (and it looks like you got plenty of off road) when you have gas guzzling trucks cars planes in fact just about every polluting factor going being advertised and sold to you as the way to live? It seems from observing this not unique situation in several countries that you have to act according to your concience. e.g. the French will fight for every last right of access and freedom and if not simply resort to anarchy,.... I have a Swiss friend who has got himself a united nations pollution inspector badge which enables him to ride in open country in Switzerland; Here in the UK we appear to be just keeping our heads up with concerted organized opposition. It would be interesting to hear of how other off road (particularly trials) folk are doing elsewhere in the world. (I seem to have fallen straight into the divide and rule trick there vis enduro, moto cross, green laners, quad bikes , 4 wheels drive vehicles.) It is a very rightous thing to be or think you are are "green" perhaps we could universally become inspectors for the U.N. or find such similarly acceptable functions.one thing for sure there is no way we can "fight" it head on being such a minority group.. there just isn't any political gain in representing lepers.

One thing that most euopeans forget is that the US has 50 independant states all with their own theory on what "green" is. Sure he government has some blanket laws that we all must abide by but my state (Michigan) is a pollar opposite to (California) when it comes to emissions. We have vehicles specifically built for the California market only with more stringent emissions laws. They have infrasturcture to enforce those laws as well.

Each state also has their own rules as to property and off road riding laws. My father by law is not allowed to ride his trials bike up and down his driveway in new york (he does anyway). Each state has their own speed limit's. Each state has their own government. Each state has their own police organizations. Each state has their own rivalry's when it comes to sports. It would take 9 hours to drive from one end of my state to the other. In California i think it takes about 14 hours (correct me if i am wrong). This country is absolutely huge and there is no one consensus regarding any topic. Enviroment, politics, trials, ect....

--Biff

Biff that was a good reply, I cant even fool around and ask you if your girlfriend or wife or mom wrote it for you. Just playing, you riding the nationals this year? Im always looking for people who I use to see ride in the great(cant ride in the driveway) state of NY.

That's because of sound. Funny thing is it's because of the loud 4 strokes that we are having those problems. I'm sure if he was out there on a 2 stroke nobody would have noticed. His riding area couldn't be seen by anybody, but they sure heard him.

unfortunatly this has become a political stance, when ever you get politics involved it's all abought the ca$h, and there are plenty of fools who will back up a political party blindly just to feel like they are a part of what's happening. off roading in the US is on the endangered species list and our very way of life is being threatened, fortunatly the AMA is fighting for riders rights, I can't even imagine living in California and being subject to ridicolous motor sports laws, knowing that the coal burning factory next door gets extra tax write offs and EPA exemptions and puts more pollution in the air in one hour than I will my entire life riding 2-strokes. arg... I could go on for hours, it makes my blood boil to think abought it too much, we have already lost the battle, and most of our riding areas, Will you be able to ride your 2008 2-stroke cycle in california in the next decade? Who can tell? I understand there to be a grandfather clause regaurding Vintage 2-stroke street bikes, nothing is gaurenteed when political power wants to flex it muscle

politics = poly meaning multiple, tick meaning tiny blood sucking creature

sorry didn't mean to get to negative or political, this has bothered me for over 20 years, and I think too much abought this stuff, lets just go ride and enjoy what we have

Edited by MotoVintage

Biff that was a good reply, I cant even fool around and ask you if your girlfriend or wife or mom wrote it for you. Just playing, you riding the nationals this year? Im always looking for people who I use to see ride in the great(cant ride in the driveway) state of NY.

I probably wont be riding the nationals. Both of them are 24 hour drives. Cost has gone up with the event and travel and work has me pretty tied down. I went to the fun in the sun and will be going to the world round with zippy and we have 14 events in michigan this year so my travel has been pretty tapped. I do plan on going to munsville to take you on mr cody. My land lord in my present house moved to baldwinsville and sold his trials bike in the process. I told him that i would ride a 3d trials and make more travels to 3d trials to hang if he buys a bike again. I told him that my rent money should be going towards a new gasgas or what ever Komer has in stock. So you will see me around this year. Dad wants me to come back and ride too.

All politics aside i hope that California does not destory our sport for their state. You west coast guys have some great terrain.

--Biff

Edited by biffsgasgas

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately what happens in California and Europe with the environment laws is now filtering through to us in Australia.Some of the rules they want to pass this year will kill trials and enduros competition if they go through.

just wanted to add a little something here that i think many of us would like to see

i was listening to the radio and a comedian made the statement that he wishes politics was like nascar....

when you see Jeff Gordon you know who sponsers him and who paid the big bucks and who paid a little just by looking at his suit and car

but all politicians wear shirts and ties and you dont know who is sponering/donating to them to persuade their time while in office