Bum Bag, Rucksack Or Nothing At All?

thespikeyone

As the mother of all trials is fast approaching I am thinking about the last few bits and bobs, which of the above is best?

The rucksack I can see being a bit of a faf having to put it on and take it off, but all your kit will be in one place and you will be able to carry more (gloves waterproofs etc) the bum bag may not be as big and energy draining but limited on space, nothing at all!!!! dont think I want to take that risk.

whats the opinions of the TC population???

I started using a cameback for all the novagars but found it draining having all the weight so high up. Had one made that is longer so the bulk of the weight sits in the lumbar curve. Wore it for the first time in the Lomax and it felt better so i'll be using that all week.

Moose bag, let the bike carry everything.

I reckon that's the trick. Do they do them for all bikes, or are they universal?

I use a camlback, with the 2 litre bladder and plenty of room for tools. Being bigger than the average bear, it doesn't affect me too much, but that's in trials which aren't as tough as Scotland. I'm sure the extra weight each day would take its toll in some way.

The camelback is a pain in the butt to take off at each section and probably more so in Scotland where you don't want to be hanging about. Bumbag easier to take off, but easily left behind I reckon.

Moose bag, let the bike carry everything.
I reckon that's the trick. Do they do them for all bikes, or are they universal?

I use a camlback, with the 2 litre bladder and plenty of room for tools. Being bigger than the average bear, it doesn't affect me too much, but that's in trials which aren't as tough as Scotland. I'm sure the extra weight each day would take its toll in some way.

The camelback is a pain in the butt to take off at each section and probably more so in Scotland where you don't want to be hanging about. Bumbag easier to take off, but easily left behind I reckon.

I've used one on both the 4RT & a Gasser with no problems, I clip it on at the lowest point of back mudguard. I wear a good quality cycling waterproof jacket which has back pockets on both sides, I stuff a drink in there at every petrol stop. I carried a bag in my first trip round there, complete pain in the a***, I don't like riding sections with a bag on you have to walk to the end of every section to ditch it. There's some very long sections up there & generally you can get away with not walking the last 10 - 15 yards, add in a stop to pick the bag up & fasten it back on & it all adds up to a lot of wasted time.

I find I can get everything I want to take in the moose bag including a tube, I generally put my air bottles / valve & turds in my pocket, the turd pusher fits to a fork leg.

Use a bag and strap it to the bike. I used a rucksack too but it really only had a 1.8l camelback bladder in so it was no real problem to ride the sections with it. This is what Perce and Kinell are on about, it's 19.95

MooseFTfenderBag.jpg

It can be bought from The Dirt Bike Store.

I used this, I bought it because the moose packs where out of stock. It worked just as well.

US5.jpg

It can be bought direct from kriega for 25.00 or I could lend you mine?

Edited by boofont

Cheers for the offer boofont, but I might as well buy one as it might need to use it at least once a year if you know what I mean ;)

moose bag and camelbak it is then, I already have a large camelback which holds 2.25L which I used on the Pollock so it should be reet :D