Bangor Updates

city trials

Send him some of your massive sponsorship budget then :thumbup:

I sent some of my massive budget. Well not massive but a few bucks. I feel like I got my monies worth and then some. Pats journey is far from over. You have made this years world rounds the most exciting for me.

Maybe someone can put up his fund page again.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a Pat Smage fan, I've really enjoyed this thread. Cope, you nailed it. And Noel, thanks for contributing. I continue to be amazed at what you guys are able to do with the resources you have available to you.

And please Pat, keep your blog going! It's fantastic just the way it is. I don't know if it's intentional the way you are "wearing your heart on your sleeve" like you are, but man, what a refreshing break from the drivel we get from most corporate sponsored riders (just how many times can someone tug the bill of their cap during an interview?).

Keep it real Pat! And good luck in Tennessee.

Ian, With that sponsorship comes the little perks like having a frosty brew with the Northern Norm and I.

I'm looking forward to coming round your trailer for a few cool beers and a sing song like last time :P See ya soon :D

p.s The lovely wife is coming so I will have to behave this time :thumbup:

Just to add another cultural dimension to this post I've just read all 7 pages in a Berlin hotel room. I think the cutlure gap is overplayed.

I'm an English guy; I spent 3 months of last year working in the US, I'll be in Germany 3-4 days a week for the next 18 months. People either embrace differences in culture or object to them. It's not better/worse; spoilt/backward, its just different. My best advice is to enjoy the difference not try to make Europe feel like America or America feel like Europe. On which, Europe is not homogenous, the UK will feel similar to the US because of language and heritage. The language & customs will be no more different for Pat in future rounds than they will be for the UK & Scandinavian riders in Latin countries, just as they were for the Spanish lads in Bangor (I bet they loved it!). At least in Bangor Pat had language on his side.

Moving on; I was in Bangor & only saw Pat ride one section. First section, first lap on Sunday. It struck me that he rides on the front wheel a lot. He seemed to push the bike over steps to roll on the front, as opposed to say Bou who has a cycle background & prefers to stay on the back wheel.

Did anyone else notice this?

Is it a deliberate riding style?

Was I still wiping the sleep from my eyes?

Neils,

All I can say is that Pat seems, to me, to be a fairly balanced rider in his style. I believe he has a lot of pushbike experience as well, and can pretty much use whatever he wants. But I also think that there is some limits on the 125's because a lot of rear wheel work requires a lot of the bike, as well as rider, so body over the front becomes more important than on a big bike that can power over things.

That brings me to another topic reguarding the riders of all classes really. One of the things that many people miss are the practice days, as they just get to maybe watch a few sections on event day. This applies to club trials also, but on a higher level even more.

It is SOO COOL to se these kids get together and practice! They will find things to try, follow the leader, attempt things they may not normally attempt, and have great fun wearing each other out! Showing off! Crashing! Whatever! And I still believe that in many cases, that is the best experience for them all, and unfortunately, that time is soo little and soo precious because it is soo hard to come by. At that time, language is not an issue as they just get to ride, which is what it is all about.

Seems to me this extends throughout the juniors as well, quite a show, at least based upon my limited experience.

Which brings me full circle to the fact(or what seems) that over here, even at the nationals, Pat has few times when they can get together just to ride with each other, and few can push Pat on his abilities. So it seems young Patrick is pretty much self motivated and always looking to ride, as he picks up things to work on, on his own.

The two SR(multi champ) riders here in the US are Ryan and Geoff! I just wish the kid had more quality time to spend with them, as their experience is vast! The only person over here that I have seen that could out do either in ths mud and slippery stuff was Avalah when he was here full time. It may be "old style" but I think they all have some tekniques that Pat could learn from, specially with the floaters and pivot turns. Any of these "old farts" can still kick butt on just about 99% of anyone here!

Oh well, I will shut up now! :thumbup: