Tyre Pressures

greenlaner1

With Michelin's 4 psi back and 5.5psi front unless you are very light or riding very muddy sections with no rocks. Check a few times especially if the weather is cold and sunny. A back tire can go up a pound after being first checked on a spring morning.

A good low pressure tire guage is money well spent.

wow, as low as that??

With Michelin's 4 psi back and 5.5psi front unless you are very light or riding very muddy sections with no rocks

i would have though that the lighter a person is the higher the pressure must be? thats why i was running about 10psi, i weigh in at 15stone

cheers again :rolleyes:

GL1

i would have though that the lighter a person is the higher the pressure must be? thats why i was running about 10psi, i weigh in at 15stone

Yer a fat git like me, run the rear at anything between 3 and 5 psi depending on the gloop to rock ratio :rolleyes:

Yer a fat git like me, run the rear at anything between 3 and 5 psi depending on the gloop to rock ratio :rolleyes:

Yea, me too. I weigh about the same (hmmmm, 1 stone equals 14 pounds?) and I usually run 4 rear, 6 front under most circumstances. I may run 5 rear if there are sharp-edged rocks and 3 if it's sloppy wet but no nasty sharp thingies.

You'll want to get a good tire gauge, you will use it a LOT in Trials and try to get one that has a low range (like a 1-15 psi range here in the States) because most gauges have a percentage of calibration inaccuracy, generally about 2-3% which, for instance would be 2-3 psi for a 1-100 psi gauge (not good for Trials) but that would only be about .30-.45 psi for a 1-15 psi gauge.

Jon

As an old git in a digital world i never measure my tyre pressures with a guage I just sit on the bike and adjust visually a new Michelin on a cold day would be chalk to cheese of a used (especially down the road and get some heat through them) IRC for example. Of course you must also conder where and what you are riding... Horses for courses!

You'll want to get a good tire gauge, you will use it a LOT in Trials and try to get one that has a low range (like a 1-15 psi range here in the States) because most gauges have a percentage of calibration inaccuracy, generally about 2-3% which, for instance would be 2-3 psi for a 1-100 psi gauge (not good for Trials) but that would only be about .30-.45 psi for a 1-15 psi gauge.

Jon

As an addition to that, the best gauges I found were from a company that sells supplies to serious dragracers. Tire pressures are important business in dragracing, where a pound of pressure can make a difference. I bought a Longacre 0-30 large dial gauge years back and at the time the price made me gulp a little, but it's been bulletproof, extremely rugged and I've had it calibrated several times and it's been spot-on every time. So, in the long run it was a bargain.

Jon