Bar End Plugs

ham2

What do you think?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Those small metal or plastic plugs at the ends of your handle-bars.any use?

• No, never thought about them.
    • No, a good rider doesn't need them.
    • No, tried them but weren't effective/caused other problems
    • Yes, never tested them,just being safety concious
    • Yes, essential kit,I wouldn't be alive today if..blah,blah.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to get an aersol of paint spray inside grip and slide onto bars while still wet. Paint drys and grip sticks to bars

I used to do that also but I've found that some of the new grips, like the Renthal super soft, are real sensitive to

solvents, even those in most grip glues and can split. I tried to use my regular Honda grip glue on a set of Renthals

and they promply came apart (split) and Scotts seem to soften them when I tried some on old grips, so I only use

Renthal grip glue. The medium and hard grips don't seem to be as solvent-sensitive. The Renthal grip glue is a bear

to use as the stuff sets quite fast and you usually only get the grip on half-way, especially the thin throttle side. A trick

is to spread the glue on and use a little around inside the first part of the grip and then spray a little alcohol on the bar and inside the grip and it will slide on easily and after the alcohol evaporates, the grip will be solid.

Jon

Jon,

Forget all that glue stuff, Zipper simply stated that HE was tight, no reference to his grips!

3M spray trim adhesive works for me :banana2:

Oh, I get it, Mark....One of the things I miss out here in the Midwest is that the alternative papers don't carry

"Zippy" cartoons like they did in California, part of the culture shock I endured as a result of the move........:rotfl:

I haven't tried the 3M adhesive (what we used to call "Gorilla Snot" and we used to use it like duct tape to stick

and seal things on our bikes) yet on the soft grips, it smells a lot like the Renthal stuff though.

Jon

copemech Posted Yesterday, 10:40 PM

Jon,

Forget all that glue stuff, Zipper simply stated that HE was tight, no reference to his grips!

Well, I gotta have something to hold myself to the bike so I don't fall off. PUCKER POWER!!!! :banana2:

• 2 weeks later...

hebo bar ends! the throttle side has a bearing for the end of the throttle tube so it rolls smooth without coming in contact with the bars, and it has a 10mm gap between the end of the tube and the bar end so if you do slam it, it won't mess up your throttle response! i've kept the same set for 3 bikes i've owned! they are well worth it, just like j-pegs........................john

hebo bar ends! the throttle side has a bearing for the end of the throttle tube so it rolls smooth without coming in contact with the bars, and it has a 10mm gap between the end of the tube and the bar end so if you do slam it, it won't mess up your throttle response! i've kept the same set for 3 bikes i've owned! they are well worth it, just like j-pegs........................john

I too swear by the Hebo bearing bar-ends. I never used the regular ones as I didn't like the junk that ended up in my throttle tube (I take dirt samples a lot....) and my outer palm on my glove rubbed on the non-rotating bar end. I'll have them on all my bikes now.

Jon