montesa 315r '02

bsmallinson

Hello chaps,

If you haven't already seen my introductory post i'm ben.

I'm new to the trials scene and have recently purchased an '02 315R. I am wondering if any of you guys could give me a little bit of guidany on maintenance routines that you carry out and the sort of frequency that these should be done. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

This really depends on how much you ride and how hard, I'm no expert but this is what I do...

1/ keep it clean, try not to use a pressure washer as it get's in everywhere (like wheel bearings)

2/ wipe it dry and oil it up, I use wd40 and get it everywhere EXCEPT the brakes

3/ change the air filter every couple of trials unless it's very dusty then every trial (have 2 one oiled and ready to go)

4/ keep your chain oiled, I soak mine in old engine oil when not in use

5/ gearbox oil after 5 trials

6/ Fork oil every 6 months

More important that all this is to run your eye over the bike on a regular baisis, if you have wear on fork seals,

grips or even play in the wheel bearings change them before it does more damage to something else or you!

Good luck.

Nick

Cheers fella, the guidance is much appreciated. :thumbup: When i was looking for a bike i came accross a lot of adverts stating that the gearbox oil had been change after every second outing!! I thought this seemed abit excessive but seeing so many adverts stating this it made me wonder, is doing it at such regular intervals recommended? :P

When I got mine the previous owner hadn't changed it for about a year! when I dropped it - it look ok, If your in a lot of water

then maybe you should do it more offen although water shouldn't get in!

One thing I have heard of is that if you leave your fuel tape on and for some reason the float sticks open fuel can seep into the sump

and cause problems!!

Don't forget this is the ever-reliable Honda lump, not a gasgas which is a little more temperamental (not that there is anything wrong with gasgas).

Nick.

Get your allen keys & spanners out & work round the bike methodically checking all the bolts are tight, it's easier to see if damage has occured when you are actually poking around it.

Check also for worn brake pads and play/roughness in any bearings or shock linkages/bushes.

You can use the pressure washer but gently, and only to remove the mud. Brushes & hot soapy water for the rest.