Changing Fork Seals

ollys

Hi, searched a bit but can't find the answer im after

What is the best method for changing fork seals? My 200pro is peeing oil out of one fork seal. I have the replacement seals, and some fork oil . . . do I need anything else?

And also, what method to use to do it? I was thinking, undo the retaining bolts on the yoke and drop the forks, front wheel et al out, and then . . . . . I have no idea lol

How much oil I believe is in te sparceley populated user manual I downloaded form the gasgas site, but there is no instruction as to how to actually change the seals and top up the forks etc

Any help much appreciated :thumbup:

Hi, searched a bit but can't find the answer im after

What is the best method for changing fork seals? My 200pro is peeing oil out of one fork seal. I have the replacement seals, and some fork oil . . . do I need anything else?

And also, what method to use to do it? I was thinking, undo the retaining bolts on the yoke and drop the forks, front wheel et al out, and then . . . . . I have no idea lol

How much oil I believe is in te sparceley populated user manual I downloaded form the gasgas site, but there is no instruction as to how to actually change the seals and top up the forks etc

Any help much appreciated :thumbup:

Try this site: http://d-mis-web.ana.bris.ac.uk/personal/H...f/media/gasgas/ and download the forks video, it should answer all your questions.

Jon

Awesome link dude, cheers :thumbup: I assume it wil be the same technique as the guy shows for an 05 model?

Should be. I think the 05' 200 uses the 38mm GasGas forks rather than the 40mm Marzocchi's on the larger models, but a 200 owner may correct me hopefully.

Cheers Dude.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Roght . . . .

Got most of the fork apart . . . . as per the video, right up to where he just pulls the inner leg from the outer and the seal comes out.

Mine hasn't. I've taken out the dust seal and the wire retaining thingy, hoever the seal seems tight in there and wont come up so I can't pull hte inner fork from the outer one.

Any ideas? lol

Panic over, it just took a bit of repeated "gentle" persuasion . . . .

Sometimes, if you pour a little boiling water over the seal area, it will break the bond the seal has in the lower leg and it will come out a lot easier.

Jon