Towing With A V-class / Vito

boner

Guys, thinking about buying a Vito / V-Class Merc.

Need to tow about two tonnes with this vehicle (wife's horse and trailer).

Has anyone out there any experience of towing with one of these, and if so are they any good for the job?

Cheers - Boner.

Well I already have a Toyota Landcruiser VX (4.2 TD).

Which does the job beautifully - but it's kind of thirsty as an everyday car for doing the school run, going to Tesco etc.

Need something more ecconomical that can hadle pulling 2 - 2.5 tonnes.

Any ideas welcome...

Cheers - Boner.

Yeah - love it... but it has to go.

So have been looking around at Audi A6, BMW 530, V-Class Mercs etc etc.

Something that's good for living with - but can handle a bit of weight for towing purposes.

So need a big heavy car/van thing...

Boner.

I have a vito 115cdi and i think its spot on for towing.

I recently towed a caravan to Luxembourg with 3 bikes and all the gear in the back of the van 70mph +, no probs at all. I also tow a twin axle flat Ifor Wiliams trailer with no problems.

Although it is better if there is some weight in the back of the van.

I didn't clock it exactly, but I guess about 28 to the gallon, but i was giving it some stick.

I reckon driven abit more frugally you would easily get well over 30 to the gallon.

Adsy, any idea on how long the small TD's really hold up? Although we have few over here, I do know of the 5 cyl Sprinters running 3-400,000 miles. Seeme the new ones with a 3.0 V6 are a real confunction with all the new emissions stuff. Scarey, and nobody can forcast just how much this stuff is going to cost you in the future.

There are already lots of horror stories here with the latter generation HPCR big motors, even without the new emissions stuff. Matter of fact, I had one today that will total over a 10K repair bill due to faulty(or damaged by dirt) injectors and burnt pistons!

Keep your fresh fuel filters on hand! :o

I didn't clock it exactly, but I guess about 28 to the gallon, but i was giving it some stick.

I reckon driven abit more frugally you would easily get well over 30 to the gallon.

Adsy, any idea on how long the small TD's really hold up? Although we have few over here, I do know of the 5 cyl Sprinters running 3-400,000 miles. Seeme the new ones with a 3.0 V6 are a real confunction with all the new emissions stuff. Scarey, and nobody can forcast just how much this stuff is going to cost you in the future.

There are already lots of horror stories here with the latter generation HPCR big motors, even without the new emissions stuff. Matter of fact, I had one today that will total over a 10K repair bill due to faulty(or damaged by dirt) injectors and burnt pistons!

Keep your fresh fuel filters on hand! :o