Sherco 290 2001 Project

wraggy78

Hi all

Okay a few of you may know that the main bearings have gone on my bike

I have posted a few times and a few of you have replied with very helpfull information.

So today was the day I started the project. I have never done anything like this before but am "mechanically minded"

Started by taking mudgaurd off, then came the fuel tank. Air box and exhaust.

drained radiator and disconnected hoses. removed carb and clutch pin.

Removed the front main engine mounting bolt but the other two are tight to get off.

The main one at the back that goes through the swing arm should that just pull out after the nut is removed????Can anybody tell me what the cable is that goes into the engine by the flywheel ???and if I need to disconnect it fron up the top or does it slide out as there is a groove that looks like it should.going to start on the mounting bolts on tuesday and hopefully get the engine out.

Any tips on any thing im going to encounter would be gratefull or even if there is anything I have done that maybe I shouldnt have.

Cheers ill update when im at the next stage........ :thumbup:

The instructions are fairly complete.

The stator plate should swing out of the way with wires intact.

It would be recommendable to just remove rear wheel and shocker , disassemble , inspect and fix up your dogbones and rear linkage since you have to take the swingarm loose anyway.

I just hope the swingarm pivot bolt will come out! You need to clean and re-pack everything with good grease. And chances are you may need several bearings and bushings.

If you do it right now, she will be solid and love you long time! :thumbup:

If you haven't done something like this before, and either don't have or don't have access to a few special tools you will be better off taking the engine to a competent dealer to have the main bearings replaced.

The crankshaft primary gear usually is really tight and you will need an air impact wrench to remove it, as well as a couple of torque wrenches, bearing and seal drivers/installation tools, a crankcase splitter, and a puller for installing the crankshaft back in the engine case. DO NOT attempt to hammer the crankshaft in by beating into the main bearing upon re-assembly, you will knock it out of true.

While the engine is apart, you should also inspect and replace as needed the other bearings and all of the oil seals.

Hi guys thanks for your advice.....

If im being honest is this task too much for me...?

The thing is id like to do it purely so I know whats what as I feel it will prove to be valuable.

But im already struggling with the main swing arm pivot bolt it just will not move...

I think for the sake of it this time I might be a defeatest....

I have stripped the bike down of everything else to which I have learnt a few things...

So going by some of the comments I will kindly pass it on I think....

At least by stripping it down to what it is now has saved me some money in labour charges eh...

Cheers again guys

Hi guys thanks for your advice.....

If im being honest is this task too much for me...?

The thing is id like to do it purely so I know whats what as I feel it will prove to be valuable.

But im already struggling with the main swing arm pivot bolt it just will not move...

I think for the sake of it this time I might be a defeatest....

I have stripped the bike down of everything else to which I have learnt a few things...

So going by some of the comments I will kindly pass it on I think....

At least by stripping it down to what it is now has saved me some money in labour charges eh...

Cheers again guys

All I can say is if that swingarm bolt is really stuck, you may have to cut it out, they can be a real bear if it has never been lubed. And I think you would be lucky to find someone to do it that has experience. Ruining the bolt is not the problem, it's everything around it! :thumbup:

There are three major shafts on any bike that you do not really want to sieze up due to corrosion. The axles and the swingarm pivot, the latter being the most neglected, and of course, time takes its toll when combined with the elements these things are subjected to.

Edited by copemech

Ruht Rohhh Wraggy............

Yeah, stuck swingarm bolt can be a bugger to get out.

Not sure of your shop situation, age, experience or folks nearby to help.

To get it out, what I did on my BIL shop (well, actually a Pig stall) with no tools :banana2: was to go find a chunk of aluminum rod or a brass drift.

Get your BIL (that would be me in this case) to go buy you an Air compressor and a 1/2" impact gun out of sympathy and cussing too many times trying to clean a carb without an air compressor.

Go out and spray weasel p*** of your particular flavor on the bolt every night for a week, soak down everything (Weasel p*** is whatever penetrating oil you happen to believe in)

Now, Hopefully, when you spin the allen head with the impact the bolt spins.

So, start spinning the bolt while your BIL or some other fool you recruited to help you attempts to put the drift on the other head and whack the living crap out of it with a very large preferrably dead blow hammer.

I believe it is a prerequisite that the bike fall off the milk crate twice, the dog learns new swear words, the wife comes out and asks what is going on, and there probably needs to be a touch of blood involved although I believe a very large blood blister may be a suitable substitute.

Anyway, in the FWIW column, if you can get that bolt out, it will possibly be the hardest part of this job.

Either that or run the bike down the street to the guy that works on cars in his garage all the time and point at the bolt and say,,, "that effing thing is stuck, give you a beer if you can get it out, and you are a girly man if you can't" It will either be out, or he will hit you in the head with a hammer...

Have a search on the Sherco forum for "2003 290 Swinging Arm Removal" from Aug last year (sorry, not sure how to post a link).

Someone with similar problem to yours - and how it was solved.

Portman

Edited by Portman

Okay guys was going to give up on this but

After going down the shed with a cuppa this evening and looking at the bike I thought sod it ill have another go.

Update then....

The bolt came out rather easier than thought...

The engine is now OUT....

The carb is off and has been stripped and cleaned.

Think I will still get someone else to do the bearings as im not sure now if i could do more bad than good by doing it myself....

at least i have saved money of the labour getting it out though

cheers for the helpfull advice guys

Good job!

I believe you are making the right choice on the engine...now is a prime time to have a look at the suspension linkage and swingarm bearings while waiting on getting engine back.

So did you find a good trials man in the midlands? You can PM Nigel Dabster, as i am sure he can recommend. Milton Keynes area! Somewhere. On his Monty! Too Black! :rotfl:

I have someone in mind, but cannot commit for them. Probably would not mind just doing the benchwork on the motor for you. :banana2:

Edited by copemech

Yeah I will have a good look at them and do what is needed.

There is a place called behind bars they are not to far from me I have spoken to them and they seem pretty cool

Goining to drop it in on sat.....cheers again guys.

Just one thing though. What are the most common things that you find once the engine is stripped are there generally other things that need replacing or is it usually okay???

Just one thing though. What are the most common things that you find once the engine is stripped are there generally other things that need replacing or is it usually okay???

copied from sherco usa manuals:

23. With a razor, thoroughlyclean off allresidue of all gaskets on inside and outsides of

cases and the bottom of the cylinder, but especially around the intake manifold area of

the cases.

24. Using parts washer and contact cleaner on a rag, clean cases

25. Wire brush rusty cylinder studs, spray with WD40

26. Clean all bolts before reinstallation

Reinstallation, General Tips

1. As a general rule, when reassembling any motorcycle, alwaysreplace all gaskets,

O-rings, cotter pins, piston pin clips, lock washers, snap rings, etc..

2. When torquing bolts, nuts or screws, start with the larger-diameter or inner fasteners,

and tighten them to the specified torque using a criss-cross (star) pattern.

3. Clean all parts after dismantling, and when reassembling, coat all sliding surfaces

with the same type of lubricant that will be used during the operation of the engine.

4. After reassembling, check to be sure that each part is securely tightened.

cheers

:banana2: