Honda Tlr 200 Throttle.

andy m

I have just picked up a Tlr 200 and it still has the standard Honda throttle fitted. It seems a bit firey, all or nothing. Does any one here know if it is a fast action one fitted as standard. I am wondering if it would be better with a Domino slow action or similar. Thanks in advance :banana2:

The best thing about a TLR200 is the slow throttle response, thats why they grip so well, as the power is delivered so smoothly.

I have the original Honda one and it's fine.

What bike have you just come off before riding a TLR?

Edited by honda_tlr

I ride a Scorpa 125 4t mono. I have not touched the tlr just tried it out. My first trials bike was a Tlr 200 and I struggled with it because of handling etc. This one has had the pegs repositioned and slightly longer r shocks that changes the st head angle and it seems good. Having said that I have a lot more trials under my belt on the Scorpa which has modern geometry obviously and is soft in comparison so you may be right it is possibly me . I need to fettle it and see.

Brian r not sure about timing as motor runs like a watch etc. Thanks.

What I need is a Tlr that handles and steers like a Scorpa 125. Oh no don't go down that road. The T/S Police will be chipping in soon. :banana2:

The best thing about a TLR200 is the slow throttle response, thats why they grip so well, as the power is delivered so smoothly.

I have the original Honda one and it's fine.

What bike have you just come off before riding a TLR?

Bo dont listen to the Blurter :rotfl:;):barf: he never has his bike out the shed!!! get yourself a slow action domino side pull jobbie (Black) or an AMAL20/50 side pull jobbie and a venhill nylocable to suit , you will never look back! :banana2:

Bo dont listen to the Blurter :banana2::rotfl:;) he never has his bike out the shed!!!

If it wasn't such a pile of **** then I would be on it, getting a new ally exhaust, just repainted all the frame, will be ready to ride again in a few weeks. Been to busy working on the Ariel lately to be messing around with jap crap.

Bo,

Change the throttle to a 90degree one slow action is best I found with my 250. The cable could be your culprit had to change mine when it got draggy or the way you describe it. replace mine with a venhill kit cable and it solved the problem, other alternative could be crap in the carb.

If it wasn't such a pile of **** then I would be on it, getting a new ally exhaust, just repainted all the frame, will be ready to ride again in a few weeks. Been to busy working on the Ariel lately to be messing around with jap crap.

I told you when you bought it "you get what you pay for" :banana2::rotfl:;) next Border trial May 25th !!!!

Just picking up on the new throtle cable for a TLR200, does anyone know where you can purchase one from. I had my TLR out at the weekend and my cable seems to be knackered as the throtle "races" away. I thought it could be a couple of things but infact when you moved the cable itself it changed the tempo.

Bo, i know what you mean about the throttle, if the 200 is anything like the 250 even with the slow action throttle the revs seem to shoot up if the throttle is opened up even a tiny amount.

There's not a great deal you can do about it to be honest, thats how they are.

Riding in a lower gear using higher revs is a technique used by many TLR riders to get the engine operating in the smoother mid-range, just be glad you don't have the 250!

You'll get used to it in no time.

See I can't understand the problems folks have with the power delivery of these bike, mine was smoothness personified.

Mechanicals - Well lubed throttle, new cable every six months (don't like oilers) carb always clean, timing a fraction retarded not much at all

As said already I guess I rarely used more than second in sections and kept the revs fairly high. I never had problems with on - off power and loved the engine braking. I guess as said on the Beta thread it depends how much time you spend ironing out the bugs. A factory machine is rarley anything like a customer machine purely because of the time spent by the factory mechanics

hey

changing to a slow action grip is a good mod, a 200 is verry smooth and grip is perfect you just have to learn to be gentle whit the throttle. if you open it fast the bike reacts quick (250 is a lot more agressive).

i never had problems with my tlr 200 i used 1 gear mostly (9-44T) on the 250 i also use 1 and 2nd (9-39T) and had al the grip i needed

so place a slow action throttle and practice a bit your problem will solve it self

greetings bob

The TLR is different from the XL/XR 185/200's I know. Can the spark timing be adjusted on these?

Will the adjustable timing sprocket for the 185/200 fit the TLR head and cam?

I just got my TL125 with a 200 stroke and bore running and it's time for me to tweak the

thing. It's a little jerky right now. I may need to reduce the CR even more or play with the timing and jetting.