2003 270 Rear Brake (help!)

shocksetup

I have been having a hard time with my brakes I was riding and lost my brakes and tried to just bleed them back out and had no success so I decided to purchase a rebuild kit and rebuild the caliper and still no luck so then after talking to Beta USA I purchased a master cylinder and new line I am 99% sure that I have the air out of the line but I still have no pedal I have been working on it for 2 weeks and have had it to 2 local dealers and they are lost I have tried bleeding it many different ways in and out of the bike when I have it out of the bike I made a jig to hold it on my bench and it feels like I have great pedal then I put it in the bike and I have nothing. Is it possible to have a junk caliper.

I have been having a hard time with my brakes I was riding and lost my brakes and tried to just bleed them back out and had no success so I decided to purchase a rebuild kit and rebuild the caliper and still no luck so then after talking to Beta USA I purchased a master cylinder and new line I am 99% sure that I have the air out of the line but I still have no pedal I have been working on it for 2 weeks and have had it to 2 local dealers and they are lost I have tried bleeding it many different ways in and out of the bike when I have it out of the bike I made a jig to hold it on my bench and it feels like I have great pedal then I put it in the bike and I have nothing. Is it possible to have a junk caliper.

Yes its possible but its also unlikely as they rarely give trouble. The only places air can get in via the caliper are the connection with the hose, the joint between the two sides of the caliper or the seals around the pistons. I've never had to replace the seals around the piston on any bike and as long as the bolts are tight which hold the caliper together its extremly unlikely to leak from the joint. You may have a problem getting to the hose to seal, when you have lost pressure have you checked that all the joints are dry ? If you can get it work on the bench and then leave it for an hour does it still work ?

I have tried bleeding it with a syringe and letting it set for 1 hour, I am going to take it back out of the bike and try again if I lengthen out the the rod out on the pedal I can get a little pedal but then the fluid will not take a gulp of fluid. I am pretty sure that I got all the air out of the system

Hi there shocksetup,

I was having a little problem bleeding the rear brake on a 95 Gasser, it all came good when I unscrewed the reservoir cap, and gently prised out the rubber diaphragm and allowed the unit to vent while I usesd a syringe to force hydraulic oil up through the caliper. Still took a while to bleed and I finished using a screwdriver to operate the master cylinder to achieve a longer stroke. (Rather than relying on the brake pedal actuation)

Also, there would be an O ring seal for the oil passageway from one caliper half to the other, this would be worth checking. Years back I did have an awkward bleedin system that I had to rebuild the caliper with oil already in behind the piston, it worked in the end. Persevere.

Bye, PeterB.

I purchased a new caliper and could not get it to bleed so I put my old master cylinder on and I have been having better luck with that but I still can not get good pedal with out lengthing out the rod that hooks to the pedal I was wondering it the master cylinder could be pushing the fluid back up the resivor.

Got a new 08 270 a few months back and after a couple of hours riding the rear brake went all the way down. By unscrewing the resorvoir cap and removing the rubber (as said above) it released suction which had built up in the resorvoir and gave a perfect brake again. This has happened on all the Betas I have had in the past. I also had to do it to my front brake resorvoir after a few trials once the pads etc had bedded in.

hey andy! lookin forward to another gate trials! anyways, i've had this problem and alls i did was buy a sherco! no i got a master cylinder rebuild kit, then i re built my caliper, there is little o rings inside and if they aren't right then it will suck air, is your brake line in good shape? even the slightest pin hole will be a problem, i just did rear brakes on an 87 tr 34 beta and thought it was gonna end up like yours, keep the reservoir about full no cap, have your adjustment about half way, pump it up a few times and make sure the master comes all the way down, crack the bleeder but only half a turn, and repeat the process almost like forever and it should get tight, but don't be afraid to pump it up 8-10 times, it is a rather simple set up, it can only be 3 things cable, master or caliper, another thing to try is take the caliper off the bike take the pads off, unscrew the cable and apply a small amount of air to te hole where the cable goes in, it will pop the pucks out and you can make sure they are seated properly, other than that like i said buy a sherco!.......................john

i know its a pain to bleed brakes i had the same 2 weeks no joy theni took the caliper off the bike and held it up above the master cylinder and hey presto 4 pumps and got pressure had to do this on road bikes as well mate had same prob so went round held it above and it bleed right away try it

My nephew turned up today with his Kawasaki 450, no front brake as his 'mate' had undone the banjo on the caliper! They had spent 2 hours trying to bleed the brake with no success.

So, I tried the syringe but couldn't push the fluid up the hose at all. Next, I tried the usual 'pump the lever' method but this didn't work either. I undid the banjo and replaced the two metal washers with two copper ones (Beta spares :o) and blew through the hole - no blockage at all. We tried again for another 10 minutes but found bugger all difference.

Finally, I took the bleed screw out and noticed that the threads were covered in gunge - I couldn't see the tiny hole at all. Fired up the compressor and used the airline to blow some crap out.

Screwed it back in and tried the syringe - BINGO! The lever was still a bit spongy so we 'pumped' the lever and bled the system 3 or 4 times and ended up with a very strong front brake. He's off racing tomorrow so I'm hoping nothing goes pop! :o