2008 Sherco 4t Update

wayne thais

After my ride on Saturday I worked on the 4T that afternoon and then again on Sunday. I found that the engine ran best with the air screw set at 1/4 turn out, this normally means that the pilot jet is too small, I installed a 45 (in place of the 42) and it ran best at 1/3 turn out. That is where I have it now.

I also worked in it some yesterday afternoon, installed a kill button (yellow/green wire is ground and the black wire is the kill button wire). I also checked the spark plug gap it was not on spec, should be .6mm and it was about .8mm. Also installed neoprene fork boots and anti-seized all of the bolts on the front end.

Sherco has done a really nice job on this bike, I am very impressed, the triple clamps are very nicely done, the fender and fuel tank are so easy to remove, they have really made some nice changes.

Yesterday it rained and the wind blew so hard that I did not ride the bike enough to get a feel for the changes that I had made. Just finished installing new grips (actually used super bike gel grips and did not have to cut a hole in the end for my bar ends). It started on THE FIRST KICK after sitting all night, the temp dropped to around 45F. After warming it up I rode around the house a few times and then rode up the street, this thing is so strong it will pull 5th gear at a little bit over an idle, feels like a tractor.

This afternoon, the wheel bearings get packed with a mixture of waterproof grease and anti-seize as well as the dog bone bearings.

So far I am feeling really good about this 4T.

Wayne

The weather was great yesterday (Saturday 17 May) so I loaded up and went to the club. The bike had sat in the garage for a couple of days without starting, started on the third kick after I unloaded it. I stalled it a couple of times and each time it started up on the 3rd or 4th kick, I am getting comfortable with getting it started. Starting is not an issue.

I am absolutely amazed at the power, you hardly need 1st and 2nd it pulls great in 3rd, 4th is also very strong will be great for riding between sections of just plain trail riding, you could blow away just about anybody on a normal dirt bike with this thing, my boys and used to do it on our 2T's this thing is even stronger.

There were several people around so I felt more comfortable trying some things that I did not last week, most of the areas we rode have not been touched since we quit riding 2 years ago, so I was able to ride in my own private areas, there is only one other guy who rides trials in our club of 130+ riders and he has not ridden is some time. The bike climbs extremely well, put it in third and go, it will also putt around in realy tight areas very well.

Bottom line I have this great big smile on my face!

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Thais

"It's a TRACTOR"

Yes it is!

Makes me wonder about the setup on the carbs? As the (what i would consider) low speed ideal range for the airscrew on a typical jap carb is probably 1/2- 1 1/2 turn range. But if you go much larger on the pilot, say a 50, is it going to screw things up or turn it into a monster on the bottom?

Are they intentionally running them a bit lean for a reason? Lean of stoich = smoother power?

As an obscure example, my '07 2T came with a #30 pilot, would not lift the front wheel! A change to a #33 brought the power back, but still a bit lean, so a change to a 35 and then a current 36 was needed to keep down pings and stuff, and I think Ryan said many are running a 38, although I still seem to like a little leaner for smoothness.

I am sure much has been done with this development, yet we have no info!

I have other ideas too, yet all experimental, lets see if Chris can chime in on what jetting he is running!

Hi Wayne,

You're happy with your new bike, this is good! I have a question:

Sherco has developed a small vase that fits on the base of carb, just to increase the cuvett volume (it seen before on Beta's mikuni). It also consist in an extension of the needle jet. Has your bike these modifications?

On the small pilot jet with small air screw opening: the 317 cc engine has a tremendous aspiration, even at idle. For the same carb diameter, the bigger is the engine, smaller should be the jets (look at the 1.25 jets in comparison with 2.9). Maybe the standard setup is more adequate than a bigger pilot... but if you feel it need, maybe it's time to ask Paxau or Ryan?

Good luck with your new bike, I'll wait to hearing news from you, keep us informed!

Cheers, JM.

JM,

I believe that the carb modification is included on the new 10th anniversary edition. I like the way the bike starts and runs with the 45 so that is the way that I will run it for the time being. Most modern cars and motorcycles are lean in order to meet current emission requirements. May be an explanation for the lean pilot jets.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

You're happy with your new bike, this is good! I have a question:

Sherco has developed a small vase that fits on the base of carb, just to increase the cuvett volume (it seen before on Beta's mikuni). It also consist in an extension of the needle jet. Has your bike these modifications?

On the small pilot jet with small air screw opening: the 317 cc engine has a tremendous aspiration, even at idle. For the same carb diameter, the bigger is the engine, smaller should be the jets (look at the 1.25 jets in comparison with 2.9). Maybe the standard setup is more adequate than a bigger pilot... but if you feel it need, maybe it's time to ask Paxau or Ryan?

Good luck with your new bike, I'll wait to hearing news from you, keep us informed!

Cheers, JM.

Wayne, I think what Marlintec is saying here is that due to the larger displacement and resulting higher manifold vacumes at low speed, the motor can actually suck more fuel(and air) through smaller jets and passages. I think he knows quite a bit about these things from prior experience. Not sure if he has found a new one to play with.

The 3.2 with the Kiehin is quite powerful, a lot of difference on the low end as compared to my distant memory of the '05 bike with the 26mm dellorto.

The big question in my mind is if anyone has experimented with a copy like the OKO in a 24-26mm range as to maybe settle the bike down a bit? I hear these things are available, near exact copy!

Not unlike a 2.9 in stock settings, I am not sure the 3.2 does not simply have too much power for me! I suppose you could sleve one down to a 250-270 range? :wall:

I understand why Caby likes it, it is a Bad Ass!

Mark,

I called it a tractor, not a screamer, the power is very smooth and linear, it is not pipey at all. I do not think that the bike Caby rides is the same bike that I have. Ryan was hoping that they would leave his bike here, he was going to put Cody on it. They took it back to Spain, did you happen to get a chance to look at his bike when you were at the World Round in TN.

If the weather cooperates I will put it in the dirt again on Friday, I am really looking forward to it.

Wayne

Maybe a bit too soon to be messing with jetting, I found the bike takes a long time to loosen up and run in properly, when run in the stock jetting on the 05 was good.

Also the fourstroke is a lot more sensitive on the mixture and air screw, and you can tune quite a bit just by them alone.

Ishy, it is good to hear from you, what are you riding now?

I think the bike is fairly well run in, it was used as a minders bike at the world round and they evidently used it as a demo bike, they even let Mark ride it.

I feel that a pilot jet change is fairly minor, I prefer the bike to run a little rich rather than lean tends to run a little cooler.

Thanks for the input, BTW, how is the lad riding? He is probably a teen ager by now. Time flies when you are having fun.

Wayne

Wayne, I doubt yours is seated in fully as you could probably figure about 5 times round the loop plus the 15 min I put on it putting round. Maybe 5 hours runtime ?

Usually noone LETS me ride anything, better to ask forgivness than permission! Just go!

Ryan does'nt care, he needs to sell fenders and has my CC on file! Brad thinks I just fell off the turnip truck when I tell him things like your front brake needing attention, and he walks over and it is there working. He asked if I already had it diagnosed, so I looked at him and replied, yes, pretty much! Oh well! I'll let him catch hell from you!

I wanted to get a ride on Caby's bike, but seems every time I had a chance Louis was doing maintenance. I did notice the float bowl extension on one of them, cannot recall, and Caby was running a different forks set, still Paioli, but lighter according to him. Different top caps adjusters and lower legs for sure. But not larger diameter ali tubes like the Gassers. Caby said that he doubted we would see them on a production bike though. Did not even think about riding Cody's, it was just sitting there! :wall: Ron said he rode it! Just made him want that big bore kit for the Beta even more!

Yet alas, late in the day there are other things that must be done, such as margaritas, so I typically stick to the matters at hand and refrain from riding! Such a busy time! Yet, I could always try another Beta, Dougs was locked up when I went to visit, oh well!

:shutup:

Edited by copemech

I am not able to confirm that at this early stage, I filled the tank before my ride last Saturday and rode it for about an hour and I have started it ridden it several times around the house and it still has about 1/2 a tank. I am going to ride again today so hopefully I will know more later by this afternoon.

Wayne

Mark said,

"Brad thinks I just fell off the turnip truck when I tell him things like your front brake needing attention, and he walks over and it is there working. He asked if I already had it diagnosed, so I looked at him and replied, yes, pretty much! Oh well! I'll let him catch hell from you!"

The front brake still felt "spongy" on Saturday so I took a few minutes this afternoon and reverse bled it (used a syringe at the bleeder and pushed brake fluid up into the master cylinder) I think that has resolved the problem.

I like it more and more each time I ride it. I have not figures out the Map 1 and Map 2 switch, I sent a note to Sherco and asked them for an explanation, it will be interesting to see what they say.

I did go back to the 42 pilot, the 45 was to rich, if I used the choke on a cold start it would almost flood.

Wayne

Hi guys:

Well I am a total 4T convert after owning my 05 for a full year now. An ex-Paxau minder bike from Duluth and fully sorted!!! Spent first part of the time on it getting it dialed in for me! Just got to ride a brand new 08 on the weekend and man is it sweet! I did notice a slight difference between map1 and 2 though. It felt quite a bit quicker off the bottom on the 2 position and would reach max revs quicker too! Overall it felt just more re-fined than my bike, although I did like the riding position of my bike better with the RYP pegs I have!

Steve

Hi guys:

Well I am a total 4T convert after owning my 05 for a full year now. An ex-Paxau minder bike from Duluth and fully sorted!!! Spent first part of the time on it getting it dialed in for me! Just got to ride a brand new 08 on the weekend and man is it sweet! I did notice a slight difference between map1 and 2 though. It felt quite a bit quicker off the bottom on the 2 position and would reach max revs quicker too! Overall it felt just more re-fined than my bike, although I did like the riding position of my bike better with the RYP pegs I have!

Steve

Steve, did it not seem a bit more overall, with the K carby? Reguardless of Map setting? Not quite as soft through the revs?

Not sure as I have never had the chance to ride one ov the early bikes with the "kit", which i understand had a cam change as well?

As a sidenote, I did notice that Caby seemed to be running the old steel pegs on his, with what seemed to be a little mod to kick them up at the ends a bit! :D