New Beta Is Well Over Due

moulder75

Is it me or are Beta holding back on bringing out a new bike since the Rev 3 in 2000. Since its initial launch I think Gas Gas made the Pro and have now drastically changed the frame. Sherco have changed their frame to the black thinner/lighter version and Montesa have launched the 4RT. I know Beta have just launched the Rev 4 but I just wish they would launch a new bike as mental as the Rev 3 when it was launched. The ally frame could easily be developed into a lighter & stiffer design now that they have the financial backing of KTM.

Just my thoughts, but I will always stick with Beta and I know the Rev 3 is fine, but a change is always nice.

Tony

Is it me or are Beta holding back on bringing out a new bike since the Rev 3 in 2000. Since its initial launch I think Gas Gas made the Pro and have now drastically changed the frame. Sherco have changed their frame to the black thinner/lighter version and Montesa have launched the 4RT. I know Beta have just launched the Rev 4 but I just wish they would launch a new bike as mental as the Rev 3 when it was launched. The ally frame could easily be developed into a lighter & stiffer design now that they have the financial backing of KTM.

Just my thoughts, but I will always stick with Beta and I know the Rev 3 is fine, but a change is always nice.

Tony

Was thinking the same myself, their about due surely!!

classic case of - not broke, don't fix! - but yes they are resting on their laurels.

It still holds up more than adequatly against the competition, but I do agree that the factory could move forwards with some new ideas / designs that could increase thier market share by producing something just as radical as it they did in 2000.

Well hopefully the new 09 bike will reveal an all new rev 5. However I expect they will just change the colour of the rear mud guard lol.......again.

Tony

hi ive been thinking about buy ing myself a new beta. thats why i read this thread. Do I buy a 08 or wait for the 09 launch in november ? As Moulder points out is it going to be minimal changes from the previous years model ??? ( nice change of carb and about time on the 08) Ive been quoted

Are you all aware that in 2007 the Beta redesigned the frame? 20mm lower in height and also 20mm narrower in seat area.

Shame on Beta for not calling this a new bike but it really was. I believe Beta has done a great job in reducing weight off the frame while keeping it strong.

Ever ask yourself why Gas Gas, Sherco keep coming out with new frames? Same reason they stock frames in the support trucks, they need them around

for failures, not if but when. If it takes 3 to 4 more pounds to keep the Beta reliable then I'll take it.

My 07 Rev 3 felt totally different than my 04 did. Many changes and improvements over frame, suspension and engine. My 08 is a improvement over the 07 model. Similar chassis feel but the engine is much stronger.

Maybe it is a marketing mistake to have kept the bike badged a Rev 3 since some judge a new bike by a name change??? Next time you see a 2000 Rev3 sitting next to a 2008 Rev 3 ask the guys if you can ride each for 5 min. then get off them and say they "haven't changed".

firstgear is right on the money, the 2008 Beta's are great motorcycles and are much improved over the previous years. Yes, they are 3 ~ 5 pounds heavier than the rest, but in three or four years you will not see any Beta's with broken or cracked frames either. Can't say that for some of the other brands.

They do seem to have a slightly different market to the rest of the machines.

I've never had one, but I would seriously consider it. I've not been looking around, so I don't know if they've sorted their carb problems out now? I hope so.

That was a big mess for me, they also seemed to be tetchy to set up - i.e. cr4p at clearing out before a big hill. I've heard some bikes which should have been well prep'd, sounding like ****, but admittedly not for some time now.

Electrics, I'd like to see absolutely sorted, just seems more than average stator and CDI failures, although Lampkin seems to be top notch on supporting these.

I don't think we can knock just Sherco and GasGas for weak frames. Honda (or should it be Montesa) seem to have had a fair few problems too.

I digress anyway - the market for these bikes is any club rider (including experts) that doesn't think he needs titanium everything to be able to compete. I agree, if the frame aint broke, don't fix it. Even four to five pounds will not affect most riders so that they would notice. Isn't that the difference between a full fuel tank and an empty one?

I'd forego that disadvantage to have rear suspension with no play in it, and no big bills every time we replace the umpteen bearings in the linkage.

I'm sure someone will let me know which of these they've fixed, but here were my gripes last time I looked:

1. Carb ****ing fuel everywhere (I think fixed)

2. Carb setup seems "iffy" - I want it to clear out straight away (I suspect may be fixed)

3. Stator/CDI - give me a spare one of each with it, or sort it out (Dunno)

4. Stupid little screw which snail cam butts up against - make it more sturdy, even part of the frame maybe (Dunno)

5. Same as the rest, put Montesa style wheels on it, so spokes dont leak (something rings a bell)

If all those are fixed I might even be tempted next time.

P.S. Before anyone says it - Don't even think for one minute that Scorpa is in the same bracket, they're still a tractor :P

Edited by bikespace