What Oil Are You Using?

loco

Just about to change the oil and filter on my new bike.

What are you using in your 4RT ?

My local dealer recommends Castrol semi 10w40 in the engine and Castrol SLX 0w30 in the gear box. He did say Elf was the best oil but can not supply it.

What do you use???

I've used the Castrol oil for about the last three trials and find that the clutch doesn't free until the engine is warm and then you get the 'Honda screech' when the engine is hot. In the engine it seems fine though.

I was going to change it to the recommended oil after this weekend.

As far as I can see, engine wise most semi 10/40 will do the job fine.

Gearbox oil is more open for discussion. Most people say the Elf HTX740 is the stuff to use. I can not find anywhere that sells it. Anyone know of a dealer who stocks it or an internet firm where I can order some? What sort of money does it cost?

Thanks all...

As far as I can see, engine wise most semi 10/40 will do the job fine.

Gearbox oil is more open for discussion. Most people say the Elf HTX740 is the stuff to use. I can not find anywhere that sells it. Anyone know of a dealer who stocks it or an internet firm where I can order some? What sort of money does it cost?

Thanks all...

Try www.bvm-moto.co.uk. Thats where I get mine from and they have next day delivery.

Hope this helps

Try ATF in the clutch/gearbox. Have uesed it in 315s and now 4rts for last 10 yrs and clutch actions is better than most oils and a lot cheaper, no problem changing every 6 to 8 trials.

Try it and see

Put the Elf in & you'll never have to change it. I ran mine on the same oil for well over a year & it was 100% fine. Dropped it out before the Scottish & by the look of it, a waste of money. Ran a special mix of oil sold to me by Msport for the Scottish & it worked fine. You'll have to ask Big John what it's going like now. I use Repsol in the engine & change this at regular intervals with a filter change every 3rd change.

Edited by PERCE

Thanks everybody for your comments.

Gulp...just ordered the Elf HTX740 for the gear box (how much!!) and Repsol fully synthetic for the engine. I am going to use a Scotts stainless steel oil filter as it filters much more crap out than the paper filters.

Will keep you posted.

<_< Cheers :(

I dropped my oil last week and it had been in there about 3 months, as Perce said it was totally clean and I was a bit gutted I had undone the bolt <_< seems pretty cheap if it lasts so long and hadnt noticed any change in the clutch action before, just thought it was time to drop it out.

Hi

I need to change my gearbox oils as well and looked the price in Finland for ELF HTX740. Its 40 euros / litre or 68 euros / 2 litres. I then looked at the price in USA and its 36 dollars/litre which is 24 euros. I find local prices ridiculous and really cant understand this at all. If we would only have more 4RT`s around, I would definitively order a 10 pack from USA and share the benefit with my fellow riders. But as we all know, 25 euros or 40 euros, its the same. That 15 euros will still be spent for beer <_<