Front Brake

exvet

I have a "86" US model TLR200. the front brake has good modulation but lacks the power to lock the wheel.

on a steep descent, even when using 3 fingers on the end of the long stock lever. it will most often over shoot

where you need to be in a section. any suggestions on improving the power of the front brake would be greatly appreciated.

Also, drum brake is a must under the rules of twin shock.

Tim

Hi Tim ; long time since I had a honda but here goes :

1 , make sure cable is in good shape , both inner and outer and anchored securely .

2 , Check shoes and drum for glazing , and contamination , sand drum and or shoes as required .

3 , Make sure actuator arm/and pin are free to move in hub and that hole thru hub is not worn to bad .

4 , LIGHTLY lube pivot pin , anchor pin and anywhere shoes contact backing plate with automotive backing plate lube , be sure NONE is on shoe surface when reassembling .

5 , Reinstall front wheel , with axle bolt and pinch bolts just snug , not tightened yet .

6 , Get on bike , apply front brake , bounce front end up and down to center shoes in drum , work brake a few times and then put a zip tie on front brake lever to keep it applied , now torque all bolts , release zip tie and adjust play to your liking .

7 , If none of that helps go see Bob at B&J racing in dickson and get him to cut a set of shoes and arc them to your drum !

On my Fantic I also enlarged the axle hole in the backing plate about 20thou. with a brake wheelcylender hone (for lack of anything better at hand !) to allow it to center better . And if memory serves the honda doesn't have a backplate anchor rod like my fantic , they use a slot in the plate w/a knub on the fork tube to keep the backplate from rotating , If I'm wrong leave that loose too along in step #5 ...

Hope it helps , I'm sure others will ring in with more honda specific tips ...

See ya in the sections someday ...

Glenn

thanks gents, I have done most of these suggestions, but will double check, I knew to tighten the axle with the brake firmly applied, but wounder

if relieving the backing plate would help, as the axle fit is tight. _tlr: what are/is the I shaped cams you refer to?

Glenn are you going to Marion?

Wish I could but No , due to a just out of the sling broken left clavicle , I think the event on the 16th & 17th of august will be the first time I'll feel up to competing , may even bring my 12yr old and his little brothers ty80 too ! Or it maybe just a single dad escape weekend for me !...

But I do know Bob can make the little honda brakes work pretty well , I've witnessed more than 1 stoppie performed on hockeyboy's tlr !

But then again he tends to do things consitantly that you shouldn't be able to do on a old honda ! <_< He's got the touch ...

Glenn

My Reflex front brake seemed fairly strong but was very mushy feeling. I found taking the play out of the cable and lever made a huge difference. Prior to the fix, I could actually notice the lever mount flex where it mounted to the bar. I used an XR100 front brake cable because it was a little shoter and a mountain bike brake lever/ perch. I used the cable adjustment to remove play so that the adjuster and the perch could be screwed all of the way in. The cable and lever do not move around like they used to and the feel is very solid.