Tyre Pressures

jcr

When I was starting out I ask the same question to the top guy at that time ,his reply has stuck with me ever since. He said , " Press the valve stem until you hear air rushing back IN " I now know that 5 to 6 PSI in the front and 3 to 4 PSI in the rear is what most riders I ride with use .

0.3 in the back and 0.4 in the front, you can go a little lower if its really slippery, but then you gotta watch out for sharp edges etc.

I've often wondered about this. You hear people saying all the time that running with a low tyre pressure increases the risk of punctures. The point I'd like you to ponder is this. Is it easier to to burst a tightly blown up balloon or a very soft one. Rubber tends to gie when soft but punctures better when there is less give.

I run about 7 in the front and 3-4 in the back in almost all conditions except road work. My concern for running too low would be coming off the rim but I use Dunlops and they can be run flat without coming off the rim most of the time. I've seen me let the rear down to 1-2 psi in very slippery conditions. Never had a puncture yet.

Now I know I'm going to regret saying that. :wall:

I think the above point about sharp edges primarily refers to damaging the rim when running too low a tire pressure - at least it does in my case. If I go much below 4 psi, I better be really carefull - especially on a long rough loop with alot of sharp rocks.

Bigfoot makes me feel much better, as I have come to like the lower pressures, just need to use some care on the sharp rocks!

The front rims will bend rather easily!

Your pressures may change by a pound or more as the tires warm up! :wall:

• Like 1

• 11 years later...

5 hours ago, Maxgaunt said:

Hi just wondering if you were doing road riding would these tyre pressures increase or stay the same? 

What do you mean?

Would you increase the pressure before doing a long section of road work? 
For safe road riding id want at least 10 psi front and back. 

or starting out at 4 psi would your tyre pressure increase over time while riding on the road?
Yes, because of heat, dont ask me by how much though, maybe 1 or 2 psi

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

its surprising how the pressure can change from day to day or even getting the bike out of a cold van then leaving it an hour on a spring day while you sign on etc.

I am a bit OCD with pressure but run 4 psi back and 5.5 front  - running X lights. - mainly rocks and stream round here 

I will check a few time before the start of a trial to get a "normalised " reading  - don park your bike in the sun as black tyres soon warm up.

I will  normally check again after the first lap of a multi lap trial to confirm no change.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

its surprising how the pressure can change from day to day or even getting the bike out of a cold van then leaving it an hour on a spring day while you sign on etc.

I am a bit OCD with pressure but run 4 psi back and 5.5 front  - running X lights. - mainly rocks and stream round here 

I will check a few time before the start of a trial to get a "normalised " reading  - don park your bike in the sun as black tyres soon warm up.

I will  normally check again after the first lap of a multi lap trial to confirm no change.

Do you adjust your pressures when you come out a cold stream ?

• Like 2

Well my highest concerns are punches you might get in combination with stones or edges on artifical obstacles of which we have many, in cases of good grip and sharp stones and long courses I use:

10,15 PSI or 0,7 bar at the front and

7,25 PSI front 0,5 bar at the rear, 

In muddy cicumstanced I lower to

7, 25 PSI at the front and

5,8 PSI or 0,4 to the rear,

that has worked so far very well. 

Edited by pschrauber

4 hours ago, b40rt said:

Do you adjust your pressures when you come out a cold stream ?

No but if I knew  I was riding cold streams all day I wound probably set slightly higher at the start of a trial.

likewise wouldn’t park the bike in a stream then adjust pressures - Same  if I had just done a bit of roadwork 

Edited by jimmyl