Trials History

dr nick

I`m doing a write up that has to be finished by Tuesday AM.

I need some info to complete it

1. What year is the official year that observed trials first took place?

2. Has the marking system alwas been the same from that date?

3. When was observed trials officially exported to Europe?

1) 1909. The Scottish was the first trial. See: SSDT History

You could probably sit and argue all night about what was the FIRST trial. SSDT 1909 is in the books however before that happened there had to be individuals who gathered to ride their bike together before that.

2) No. Original scoring was (I think) Clean 0, paddle 3 marks, failure 5 marks.

Initially trials scoring was predominantly based on machine reliability, broken bits would cost marks etc plus what TFT says above. Early 50's the STAR scoring systems came in where the marks system was clean, 1 (single dab), 3 (paddle) and the 5 (failure) first used in the Scottish in 1953 (I think). The 2 came in in the mid to late 70's but don't ask me exactly when.

3) Haven't a clue. However first "World Champ" was a German, Gustav Franke.

ERRRRRR no he wasn't, WTC established in 1975 prior to that it was a European Championship.....first World Champion a certain H M Lampkin. I would hazard a guess that trials established itself on the continent after WW2, lots of Soldiers stationed in Germany and the like, spreading the word....

Prof...Your turn

You could probably sit and argue all night about what was the FIRST trial. SSDT 1909 is in the books however before that happened there had to be individuals who gathered to ride their bike together before that.

I used the SSDT (actually if you read the link it was initially a 5 day) as the first organised, endorsed event. Funnily I thought it was the Scott (1914).

ERRRRRR no he wasn't, WTC established in 1975 prior to that it was a European Championship.....first World Champion a certain H M Lampkin. I would hazard a guess that trials established itself on the continent after WW2, lots of Soldiers stationed in Germany and the like, spreading the word....

Donald, you steaming wally. That's why I put it in quotes. The Henri Grouters (sp) trophy preceded the Euro championship, which in turn preceded the world championship. So Gustav Franke was the first holder of that trophy (Does anybody know whether the same trophy is handed to the world champ?). The point being that in the early sixties trials was already an international or, more accurately, a european affair. Question is, who was Henri Grouters? Find out and you'll find that trials migrated to the continent long before the sixties.

Edited by TooFastTim

Donald, you steaming wally. That's why I put it in quotes. The Henri Grouters (sp) trophy preceded the Euro championship, which in turn preceded the world championship.

leave me alone....had a bad weekend....didn't notice the quotes :( .