08 4t Update 6.15.08

wayne thais

Here it is Fathers day and my youngest son and I went to the club and rode the 4T. Aaron is 24 and just finished his schooling and started a new job in another city, he was home for Father's day so we went for a ride, he rode Expert locally a few years ago and is a pretty good rider. He had ridden the 4T around the yard once and thought it was OK. However, he now thinks it is GREAT and that is inspires confidence in that it will go anywhere. It has such strong smooth power, we rode some hills that on the 2T's (2.9's) we were a little bit intimidated, the 4T went up them in third gear like we were riding on the highway, it was absolutely amazing. The bike does not feel any heavier than the 2T, even though it is. We both had a great time taking turns riding it, we would find an area to ride then watch each other ride, actually not a bad way to practice, especially when you only have one bike. It does not start as easy as the 2t but it started every time, I am getting more confident in starting it and as one guy told me, every bike has its own procedure for starting.

I am still VERY HAPPY with the 4T, it makes riding a real pleasure. The motor is a real joy and the suspension is the best of any Sherco that I have ridden, they have done a really nice job on this bike IMO.

Wayne

Thanks Mark, same to you if it is appropriate!

The weight difference between Aaron and I is about 10 lbs, however he is several inches taller than I am and his body fat is probably only about 5%.

According to the Sherco specs the 2T weighs 153 lbs and the 4T weighs 160.

Wayne

I am getting more confident in starting it and as one guy told me, every bike has its own procedure for starting.

Having grown up on 4-strokes, and owning a number of large displacement singles, I can agree. One thing, that most folks coming off a 2-stroke don't know, is to slowly push the kickstart through, until it comes to the compression stroke. It will get progressively harder to push, and then notch over, ever so slightly, as the piston comes to TDC (top dead center). The larger the displacement of the engine, the more important this step becomes. It is when the piston is in this position that you want to try and start the engine. It works because you are now kicking through the power, exhaust, and intake stroke, building up flywheel inertia, before hitting the compression stroke. This fresh intake charge, and engine inertia, provide the best chance for the engine to fire.

I have learned that finding TDC is very important and also deliberate kicks work much better than 2 stroke prods. I was able to ride again today and made an effort to find out exactly what I needed to do to consistently start it on either the first or second kick. What I had to do was set the idle at a decent speed, not to slow/not to fast and set the air screw on this carb on this bike right at 3/4 turn out. Today every time I shut it off or stalled it (only once) it started either on the first or second kick, usually on the first one. Using the before mentioned practices, TDC, deliberate kick.

I was climbing some hills when another rider came into the parking lot, he thought someone on a MX bike was out in the woods, it really barks when you get on it hard, I really like the sound, not to loud but it speaks with authority.

Wayne

I have learned that finding TDC is very important and also deliberate kicks work much better than 2 stroke prods. I was able to ride again today and made an effort to find out exactly what I needed to do to consistently start it on either the first or second kick. What I had to do was set the idle at a decent speed, not to slow/not to fast and set the air screw on this carb on this bike right at 3/4 turn out. Today every time I shut it off or stalled it (only once) it started either on the first or second kick, usually on the first one. Using the before mentioned practices, TDC, deliberate kick.

I was climbing some hills when another rider came into the parking lot, he thought someone on a MX bike was out in the woods, it really barks when you get on it hard, I really like the sound, not to loud but it speaks with authority.

Wayne

I know what your saying but a trials bike making enough noise for somebody to think its an MX bike is not a good thing.

I know what your saying but a trials bike making enough noise for somebody to think its an MX bike is not a good thing.

Hi,

Sherco makes two kind of exhaust: "R" type (usually installed on the bike) and "S" type (S stand for 'silence') that you could choose before buying the bike. The only advantage of R exhaust is at high rpm, so I feel that most of trial riders could do enough well with the S type.

I really hate the 4S bark in the woods. Also, in Spain we are having a lot of problems with off road bikes and environmental laws. We shouldn't add more fuel to the fire.

Cheers, JM.

I completely understand the noise issue, however the Sherco when ridden normally is not that loud, the only time that it get loud is when you really drop the hammer. I was actually experimenting with the bike when my friend came into the parking lot. I wanted to see what kind of power was available when I really opened the throttle, most of my riding is in the 1/4 - 1/2 throttle area, in this area it is totally acceptable from a noise standard.

The area in which we ride is primarily a MX area that has been there for 40 years, they recently purchased a sound meter and all bikes must meet certain noise standards in order to be allowed on the grounds.

Wayne