I Can't Drive 55!

copemech

Yea, you got it, remember that?

To tell you the truth, I could not do it then and I cannot do it now, but we did cruise along so many years at 60, that when things changed, 70 seemed REALLY fast for a cruise speed on the interstate. And even today, a cruies speed ov 70 on some two lane blacktops can be Really exciting! If you snooze, you may loose, bigtime!

1750 rpm yields a wopping 62 mph in the big Dodge TD! Seems lately I travel light, bike in back with minimal gear. No trailer!

23mpg! Kick it up to say 68, it will cost you a mpg or TWO, cost another at 72mph, cost another at 75!!! Makes you think, when diesel is near $5 per gallon!

On the other hand, seems many of the local trials gurus have decided that two day events are the way to go , for both the club and riders in a monitary sense. Seems the local one day may become obsolete! And I think the entire thinking about those sections may change as well.

I still find it a bit hard to fathom just how they do the Euro events as one day events, all the work, all the travel? Yes they may run the ladies on Sat. but?

The typical NATC schedule was canned this year and I think we may see more adjustments.

Thoughts? :)

copemech Posted Today, 12:37 AM

On the other hand, seems many of the local trials gurus have decided that two day events are the way to go , for both the club and riders in a monitary sense. Seems the local one day may become obsolete! And I think the entire thinking about those sections may change as well.

In MOTA we have 2 clubs scheduling 2-day events this year. A first for us. And the Zippy family accountant (The Wifey) says that's the way to go.

So that may be the wave of the future.

On the other hand Trials Incorporated events have been 2 day events for years. Seams to work well for them.

We have been running the Outlaw Two Day Trial in British Columbia, Canada for 22 years now - We run Vintage bikes and Youth on the Saturday & Modern on the Sunday, - Lots of riders have a Twin shock to take in the Saturday, and then ride the Modern on Sunday. - We give riders a break on the entry fee if they sign up for two days. - The original event has now become a very popular series with additional events on Vancouver Island and Stony Plain Alberta. With gas prices going through the roof, it makes a lot of sense, plus a camp out with family & friends makes it a nice mini-vacation. :)

Times are tough with this fuel price. It seemed like yesterday I was only worried about where I could go riding. Now its weather or not I can afford to go riding. I have to drive atleast an hour away to get to practice and some events are farther than that. We have been riding about 15 mins away but thats in an abandoned park here in detroit. Cool place but sketchy.

My father drove his 04 cummins to West Virginia from New York a couple of weeks ago and kept it at 62 mph and was getting about the same millage as you Cope. However he found it supprising that he was not the slowest guy on the road. At 80 i can get about 22 in the miata towing but at 70 I am getting 25 so i have slowed down a bit too.

I bet you can't guess which vehicle i took into work today. 100 mpg! Sure i look silly in my NZI trivent and can only go 25mph but F it i dont like spending money.

Thecoolestride.jpg

--Biff

:) I must admit mark , you do make a point that maybe the whole world should listen to ! I tend to cruise down the freeway at 60 to 65 , just a comfy speed ... but here in my neck of the woods I'm a hazard !!!! traffic always moves at about 85+ ! And they wonder why we have the highest auto mortality rate in the states ! or is it because if you can't read (handicapped!) a freind can read your drivers test for you ?????

You should see the ins. rates here in charleston county ! Almost twice what I used to pay in So.Cal. (lake arrowhead)

But slowing down abit wouldn't hurt anyone , I mean , REALLY whats the rush ?

Glenn , just a getting grumpier old guys thoughts .......

I want a piccie of Biff on that thing six monthes from now! It could be the only bike to make it to work!

Fact is, people drive like idiots mostly! Here in the DFW metro area, there are no posted speed limits over 60, but they drive like nuts anyway!

When much younger, I rode bikes on the street for years. Enough near death experiences has given me due respect. Not to mention the fact that sitting in traffic in sweltering heat is not much better than freezing your butt off! I hope Biff does not get taken out by an Escalade with Dubs! I figured him for a Honda 90, as they trials those things!

I admit I have been tempted by a couple of bikes, I like the Suzy V-stroms , and even on a dirty bike sense, I kinda like the, what is it, XT 250 Yam? little air cooled four banger, normal seat height, normal suspension, just putt around type of riding, sorta reminds me of the old days when you could actually SIT on an enduro bike! And still run down the road at legal speeds!

Still, by the time I figure out how much actual use I will get, and after licensing, insurance and maintenance costs, I have not saved anything! It is a false economy, just like these folks that are soo upside down on their SUV,s that the current hicky on a trade in will pay for several years worth of fuel costs compared to a s---t box little car! You could even pay a $10,000 premium for a Hybrid! Gee, I really am saving on that! Get out of here!

I need a beer now! Later, :)

copemech Posted Yesterday, 11:46 PM

I want a piccie of Biff on that thing six monthes from now! It could be the only bike to make it to work!

Howsabout a piccie of Zippy on his 250 Ninja?

I flog the hell out of that thing (Shift gears at 13K rpms redline is 14K) and still get 55 MPG.

I ride to work almost everyday of summer. My definition of summer is over 40 F.

I have been known to ride to work in November and once last year in January.

The coldest so far I have ridden in is 32 F. (That was very chilly)

Now like you said Cope it is false economy to buy a bike to save money on gas, because of extra insurance and plates cost.

I ride cuz it is FUN!! :D not to save money on gas.

copemech Posted Yesterday, 11:46 PM

I figured him for a Honda 90, as they trials those things!

Give him some time, he will try something with his new little scoot. He is totally crazy!!!! :hyper:

I had a Honda NX250 when they first came out , Fun little commuter , real agile on pavement . Great fun until some A hole made a lane change into me , and me into the median divider ... was only in a coma for four days ! Thank the lord for Bell MotoStars ! Needless to say I have a phobia of riding on the street now . I think their aiming at me !!!! But I did love my pre children vfr , comfy bike for me

Glenn

250 Ninja? I bet he swaps his plates over when on that little pos! Hell, I would!

And I really do not want anything that revs to 14 grand! That is why a lot of the MX guys are going back to 2T's!

Friggin things will eat you alive in maintenance costs!

It can be fun buzzing around town though, in a trivent! I may get rid of the Suzy 250 quad, it never gets ridden anyway(wify and daughter).

Father in law has a Gold wing, I can use it anytime if I want to punish myself! It IS a sweet bike, though! He just got back from Canada on a 3K trip, telling horror stories and all that! Nuts! He's one of them type that has a flat in Montana because he was too cheap to buy a tire! Just nuts! Oh well!

:D

That's the kinda stuff I'm talking about Glenn, not to mention normal obsticles like Dogs, and car parts that sudenly materialize fron benieth the car in front of you! And that can be on a good day!

And my 9 lives thing came about long before my total deal, when a few years ago I witnessed this fellow on a 1300 Honda slip and flip it off a S turn before a creek bridge. Yea, he wound up down in the water, broken neck, not much I could do except for drag him out and wait for the paramedics! I was the only one there, he could have not been found for weeks! 1/2 second and gone! End of story!

I just always wonder if reason overcomes stupidity, or it just needs to balance out! :D

I use my 25year old 250cc 4-stroke Honda for getting to work when the weather is nice. The motorcycle takes half the amount of fuel to get me to work and adds lots of fun. But in Detroit I'd never dared to ride a motorcycle on the roads: too much junk on the interstates and nobody seems to care about a weak spot like pedestrians and motorcycle riders... That's definitively different in the small villages where I use to commute.

And for riding Trials, my property for practicing is 10miles from my house. But for the events, we often carpool when it's far, more fun and saves on fuel! And if one event of a series of ten is too far, then I just don't ride it 'cause the best 8 results that's what counts! And I'm no rider to win, so just stay home and have fun there..

And ride events in these countries where fuel is more affordable -okay, no one in central US will do that...

FanticMatze Posted Yesterday, 04:26 PM

But for the events, we often carpool when it's far, more fun and saves on fuel!

Hey we did that once, but not sure if that Motor home really saved on fuel!?!?

Had a blast!!

Setting sections for a 2 day event can be a massive undertaking for a trialsmaster!!!

Think about it!

Typically here, we will run 8-10 sections per day, 3 times, then another 8-10 sections for the afternoon(advanced) riders! Then try and flip the sections for the second day! A real job for even one plus a helper! Try it sometime! :D