Broadband Frustration

perce

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any chance that you are on Virgin with PC Guard installed?

My sister brang me her laptop with the exact same issue, and at the time ping requests were fine.

I just removed PC Guard, and then it worked fine thereafter. Have you got another Antivirus installed aswell if you do have PC Guard installed? Might have been the issue.

Orange is my provider as previously stated, I use F-secure for my internet security on all machines on my network, turning firewalls off has no effect. Either my new router is a duffer or it's a phone line problem.

I used to use Orange as a provider, appalling customer service and shoddy broad band. Nothing but problems and I can almost recite the script the dear indian fellows will repeat to you! Not their fault, they just aren't given any information or powers to sort the problems they encounter.

If you value a consistent broadband with excellent UK based customer support I can't recommend IDNET.com highly enough. You pay more but its worth it in peace of mind if like me you rely on a fast net connection. You can also use a decent router and not that pathetic 'livebox' Orange give you.

If your problem is outside of your control ie. on the exchange, and you have to call Orange I wish you luck. Just remember... calm calm calm :hl:

When I left Orange it was because my max speed would not go above 2meg, after HOURS on the phone explaining again and again why it wasn't right I finally got the hump and moved to IDNET. Once connected had the same problem, rang IDNET and they rang me back 20 minutes later to say they'd spoken to BT and the speed restriction (placed by Orange although they consistently denied it was possible let alone that they did it) was lifted. Now that is customer service!

Good luck getting it sorted!

Perce,

My guess your problem is the MTU setting of your router & PC.............it's too high thus causing some sites to fail. Common symptoms are the web will fail randomly or completely, yet email, ping, tracert & FTP are all ok I bet. I've been through exactly the same problems when regrading DSL accounts within Nildram.

Set it to something like 1430. It's probably set to around 1500. If that doesn't work then try ever decreasing numbers.

Simply log into the router to change the MTU setting there, but you'll need an app called DR.TCP to change the setting of your PC(windows) if you don't want to hack the registry manually. Important:- Make the PC setting the same as the router.

Some more info here on DR.TCP:-

http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu.shtml

Ian.

Edited by IanJ

Perce, I'm having a few problems myself and now i'm semi confident i know why i keep having timing out problems.

Try this:

1) Shut down your computer

2) Switch it on and press 'F8'

3) Select Safe Mode with Networking. (the loading will be in dos format)

4) Click on Internet Explorer (or similar)

5) Type in the address of a website your being timed out from or having problems with.

Should you find your computer is no longer timing out or having problems i'm 95% sure you've a problem with your firewall. My 95% assumption is starting in SaFe Mode with Networking you have completely turned off your computers firewall. Your next step should this solve the problem is to update your Firewall settings and in my case i've Vista Home, so an email to Bill Gates will be next on the agenda.

For you guy's who are computer experts does anyone know how/who i can contact to upgrade my Vista firewall?

Edited by spud

Perce,

My guess your problem is the MTU setting of your router & PC.............it's too high thus causing some sites to fail. Common symptoms are the web will fail randomly or completely, yet email, ping, tracert & FTP are all ok I bet. I've been through exactly the same problems when regrading DSL accounts within Nildram.

Set it to something like 1430. It's probably set to around 1500. If that doesn't work then try ever decreasing numbers.

Simply log into the router to change the MTU setting there, but you'll need an app called DR.TCP to change the setting of your PC(windows) if you don't want to hack the registry manually. Important:- Make the PC setting the same as the router.

Some more info here on DR.TCP:-

http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu.shtml

Ian.

I can't find any way adjusting this setting in my router, it's a zyxel p660hw-t1

A problem I've always had pre line failure was random dropping of my connection, it mostly occured in what I'd have thought were peak evening periods, I just thought that it was normal!

Edited by PERCE

Perce,

You need the latest firmware in order to be able to change the MTU setting. There's info/screenshot here for your model, inclucing a link to the firmware download:-

http://www.adslthailand.com/forum/viewtopi...=14&t=57976

If you are getting line drops then that's something other than MTU problems me thinks......you've either got a bad modem, bad line or your ISP is at fault (but I doubt it).

However, my advice is to get stuck in and get the MTU issue sorted first.

PS.Write down all your settings before you upgrade the firmware.

If all else fails then buy a cheap modem/router from PC World.......I got a LinkSys wireless router/modem from them and it's rock solid.

Ian.

It's rejected the upgrade file & won't upload it. I tried to download this file from zyxel's own site yesterday but orange wouldn't let me on. I'd say the router was a duffer but I borrowed another one yesterday & it acted exactly the same way. Phoned India earlier tonight & actually 'won' at the first level of support, they're ringing me back so I can play level 2.

Good luck with that ring back! :hl:

Not sure how old your house is but I had a random disconnecting problem and after a long time I traced it to the BT wires running to my house. Old steel core wires that had rusted and when they swayed in the wind / got wet they caused a light crackling on the line. Not enough to really notice on a call but enough to drop my connection when the weather got bad.

Maybe worth a check if you keep getting that problem? Wouldn't help with the not showing certain websites I wouldn't have thought though.