Beginner Wanted A Sy 250 Wil A Gas Gas Be A Mistake?

men8ifr

I ride enduro but not trails. People on TC recommended th Sy as a good beginner bike and the best at finding traction in the mud (UK=mud). Also the montesa 315 was recommended for build quality and no spannering required.

The Gassers sounded revvy, traditionally poor(er) build quality and much harder to ride by one beginner though maybe later 05, 06models are better?

I went to see one SY in Manchester but it was a dog - terrible condition. Since then none close to me and I'm not prepared to keep travelling the length of the country looking for one. There are 2 Gassers near me a 2005 300 Raga and a 2006 txt pro which sound/look in very good condition for

Ive had The Scorpa and the Montesa and now ive got a 250 Pro and is by far the best bike ive ever owned .

The GG may be more Maintainance intensive but this is far out weighed by the fact its a fantastic bike to ride

Ive heard the 300 is a bit of a handful but the 250 is ideal to learn on

I have rode gas gas beta sherco, and now a scorpa, and without a doubt you should hold out for a scorpa. most of the people i have spoken to would not swap from scorpa. specialy for a gasser. i am not putting gassers down but the build seems to lack. but thats just my opinion.

ive had a SCORPA and it was a cracking bike very reliable with a bullet proof engine better bike to learn on than GASGAS but best bet is ride all makes and see what you like best

I have rode gas gas beta sherco, and now a scorpa, and without a doubt you should hold out for a scorpa. most of the people i have spoken to would not swap from scorpa. specialy for a gasser. i am not putting gassers down but the build seems to lack. but thats just my opinion.

For a clubman riding in easy trials you probably are right, but there is very little in it with modern bikes.

A well maintained second hand Gas Gas might be a better bet than a tatty Scorpa. My Scorpa faltters my limited ability, but I would recommend that riders try to make up their own mind by riding as many different bikes as possible and always buy by condition.

men8ifr, you are welcome to travel down to my area this weekend and have a go on my '05 Scorpa and then possibly try it side by side with my mates Raga 300. That way you can form your own opinion. :wall:

(PM me off forum if you want to have a go)

Hmmm still sounds like I'd be better of with a SY. There's this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=014 which is a long way from me and looks like it's taken quite a bit of abuse. Is that price a bit high as well?

Problem is I could go and see it and there's a good chance it is in poor condition - you can't see from the photo's. I've asked them to send me lots of high res photo's.

IKB what would you say was the difference between them?

The offer still stands if you fancy coming down my way for the morning. You can try my SY250 and a Raga side by side, you'll feel the the difference for yourself.

IKB what would you say was the difference between them?

Here goes

Back suspension either too harsh or too bouncy Hard work over the moors (I some times wonder if my shock was faulty)

Engine a bit agricultural easy to damage clutch covers

Gear ratios just too wide in 4th n 5th for flying over the moors

Clutch was a bit savage

But reliable but not brilliant to work on.

I just found it hard work to ride on long Trials

Much happier on a 06 Gasgas but they do need looking after but are easy to work on (much practiced!!)

The offer still stands if you fancy coming down my way for the morning. You can try my SY250 and a Raga side by side, you'll feel the the difference for yourself.

Thanks for the very kind offer, I was able to ride my friends bikes and a couple of other Earl shilton members this Sat morning and despite feeling very wierd I was able to get a bit of an idea what I would like. - I didn't like the TY actually, heavy steering and too much torque off the very bottom meant using the clutch where others didn't need to. A GG, Beta or Sherco I liked.

Treated myself to an 08 sy250 and love it!!

cant fault it, wish we could say that for my riding aswell.

But in fairness i think its all just personal oppinion and it doesnt matter what bike you have you will just get used to riding it and gradualy like it.

Craig