Rose City, Mi Aug. 2&3

jimg

you know sam i think your right about beg. so i guess that means im thinking more of a nov.A and nov.B class or what ever you call it. someplace for new trials riders who are not new to motorcycles to start. and then an A class that could be as simple as 1 or 2 more markers to add a degree of difficulty.

i know if we were drinking a few guinness' we could figure this thing out.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, seems like I miss something when not attending the Rose City event... Unfortunately last minute flights are not that cheap- especially the Scorpa as carry-on is way too expensive :D

Wanted to give my 2 cents about all these classes:

You cannot make a class for each rider, so everyone gets their style of sections and their winner-trophy... It will get too expensive with all the trophies...

I'm riding a class this year that lies somewhere in the difficult SPT-lines to advanced. And If I think I can't make a section, before I hurt myself, I get a five. But at least I'm challenged and can learn (some stuff's easier than I imagined when walking a section) and don't give a reason to make the class below too tough... And I'm a chick with a downhill and dropoff- phobia!

I wouldn't make the easiest class (BEG) way harder, because sometimes the loop is challenging enough for these riders! And I think still SPT is the right way as 50/50 INT/ADV. Because: If I'm moving up from INT to SPT, I can do at least 50% of the sections. And if there are 2 ADV sections I can't make, I just get a 5 for them. And when I move further up to ADV, I know I should be able to handle half the sections, I've ridden them a year ago...

Hope everyone has fun in Rose City (I had a blast last year) and Jim will get better soon!

I'll sign up in the Senior 20 class at the next event B)

kjax Posted Today, 04:01 PM

Zippy- You are WAYYYYY to young to do the SR thing. Be all the nut that you can be!

Are you suggesting I should stop taking my medication???? :hyper::banana2::blink:

Hey FanticMatze, Good to know you are still challenging yourself.

Even with the downhill and drop off phobia, You are a good rider and very determined to finish a section, also I have seen you crash and just brush it off and try it again.

You just ain't normal..........well neither are the rest of us.

As for the scorpa just strap it to the top of the plane with tie-downs.

Here I am off topic again,

We could add difficulty to all classes with one simple rule change.

"Stopping with foot on ground equals a 5"

OK There would need to be some observer discression with this one.

What this rule is intended for is to stop those that are taking a break in the middle of the section or stopping and putting foot down to discuss the next obstacle with someone else. At this point you have become a kickstand.

The rider that hits a rock stops and loses balance, puts foot down and then proceeds forward should be ok.

Maybe observer gives a count of 2 Mississippi or something as long as they are consistent for all riders.

This would increase the technical side of trials by forcing people to actually ride their bikes. Then there would be no need to make HUGE obstacles.

except in EXP and BIG obstacles in ADV.

Just My Opinion, and as the saying goes Opinions are like ***holes... everybodies got one.

I like the idea of a Champ class. But there is no need to lower the difficulty of ADV just for me. I moved up knowing it would be much harder, half the reason I moved up. I think I am improving, gotta work on that using the throttle thing, and the mental "OH my God that looks hard!"

Zippy

You are correct, this is way offf topic. MOTA goes of the NATC rules so the 5 for foot down would be a bit different than MOTA members trying to decide on adding another class or two.

Plus it would have to be all or nothing. We really couldn't have the observers be timing the time a foot is held down.

Heck when I check our event and if I know the rider riding and am in a converstaion with someone else half the time I have to ask the rider what they got since I wasn't watching...

Now if I had to time someone I'd really be messed up. Not to mention the difficulty working a stop watch while holding a beer!!

Scott, Now I know which section to cheat in when I ride the Metamora event. Did I mention that I will have a cooler full of cold ones at your trailer aroung noon on Sept 7?

I do agree that timing someone on the dab might be a bit tough. I sure like what that would do to riding trials as far a skill goes. That would add to the technical side with out creating more big hazards. Not practical to do in a trials though.

Hey Scott are you bringing up the KTM this weekend? We can go for a ride Sat night?

Martina, You get here and we'll fix you you up with a bike for you to ride.

See you guys this weekend!

Remeber marshmellows to use as ammunition for the board during our riding class discussions.

I didn't mention a stopwatch.

but for the ease of observing leave it the way it is.

kjax post Today, 09:27 AM

I do agree that timing someone on the dab might be a bit tough. I sure like what that would do to riding trials as far a skill goes. That would add to the technical side with out creating more big hazards.

Thanks for agreeing with me that it would add difficulty and require more skill. But if there is not enough interest in this type of change then it goes the way of the dinosaur.

Maybe I should bring a beer this weekend.........yep cheap date only takes 1 or 2 and I'm feeling good. :banana2:

Kjax

KTM still needs an O-Ring for the clutch slave cyl and also a battery. Yes I could kick it but why?

I am bouncing at a bar on friday night in Houghton Lake and may also work ther Sat night. Odds are I'll blow off Sat night

to hang with the trials crew.

I will be pulling into the BW property around 3:30am after I get done working the bar I figure. It will be a long weekend for sure..

Just remember, we (MOTA) need to stick with the same rules as the NATC. MOTA has always been good at this, usually in exact line, but not always to the T. For example, when NATC went to the no-stop, and then back to the stop rule, MOTA did as well (same year)...etc. This year there are a couple minor variations between the NATC and MOTA rules, but they are for the most part, as I said minor. The MOTA organization (as far as I know) has always prided itself in promoting our top riders to compete and prepare to ride at the National level. If we don't ride by the same rules, it can really effect a riders place if he falls victim to a rules inconsistency between the organizations. Just ask Firstgear about the 5 he got in OH a couple years ago...he is still pi$$ed. For the past several years, MOTA has had several riders competing at the National level, and I don't think most MOTA riders know this. For myself I know I ridden over 60 Nationals and Firstgear has ridden almost as many. I wear my MOTA club shirt proudly at the Nationals...Oh my Beta shirt too!

Edited by JimG

Kjax

KTM still needs an O-Ring for the clutch slave cyl and also a battery. Yes I could kick it but why?

I am bouncing at a bar on friday night in Houghton Lake and may also work ther Sat night. Odds are I'll blow off Sat night

to hang with the trials crew.

I will be pulling into the BW property around 3:30am after I get done working the bar I figure. It will be a long weekend for sure..

How did you get yourself into that little deal in Houghton Lake?

If the KTM clutch will work- bring it! Yes you can kick start it- that method does still work!

I wear my MOTA club shirt proudly at the Nationals...Oh my Beta shirt too!

Jim, Does Beta make trials wheelchairs too? HA!

(Just for the record, Jim would still hammer my best score on my best day even if he really was in a wheelchair.)

Thanks for mental boost guys with all the wheelchair jokes! Like firstgear said earlier in this thread...somewhere where we were actually discussing the Rose City event...."no one said trials riders were smart" (note: firstgear was only referring to me...thanks E.A.)

gasgastim...better than elephant a$$ (E.A.) isn't it?

Kjax

now we are really off topic. I know the owner of the Limberlost bar and we take 20-30 people up 3 times a year to work security for his big events.

Its safe to say it gets a little crazy there!

Clutch does not work on KTM, has a leak someplace and I have been told it is common for an o-ring to fail in the slave cylinder. I just haven't had time to look at it.

I've been doing it for about 9 years now I'd say. We get some pretty good size guys to work and have a good time.