Rose City, Mi Aug. 2&3

jimg

Kjax

now we are really off topic. I know the owner of the Limberlost bar and we take 20-30 people up 3 times a year to work security for his big events.

Its safe to say it gets a little crazy there!

Clutch does not work on KTM, has a leak someplace and I have been told it is common for an o-ring to fail in the slave cylinder. I just haven't had time to look at it.

I've been doing it for about 9 years now I'd say. We get some pretty good size guys to work and have a good time.

Since we are wayyyy off topic lets run with it!

I do understand how much fun that "security" stuff that can be- I ran the main gate at the Redbud National pits for 5 years. I always enjoyed negotiaing with the hot chicks who didn't have the right passes to get in. The drunks were not as much fun. Remember to ask me about the time I refused to let Ryan Hughes in (that was my first year...)

But I know there are NO hot chicks at the Limberlost Bar in the middle of summer at Houghton Lake.

Heres a link to the finishing places for Jack Pine (i know you wanted to go too) Maybe next year.

www.moto-tally.com/d14/ama/Results.asp

See ya this weekend.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JimG Posted Today, 01:23 PM

Just remember, we (MOTA) need to stick with the same rules as the NATC. MOTA has always been good at this, usually in exact line, but not always to the T. For example, when NATC went to the no-stop, and then back to the stop rule, MOTA did as well (same year)...etc. This year there are a couple minor variations between the NATC and MOTA rules, but they are for the most part, as I said minor. The MOTA organization (as far as I know) has always prided itself in promoting our top riders to compete and prepare to ride at the National level. If we don't ride by the same rules, it can really effect a riders place if he falls victim to a rules inconsistency between the organizations. Just ask Firstgear about the 5 he got in OH a couple years ago...he is still pi$$ed. For the past several years, MOTA has had several riders competing at the National level, and I don't think most MOTA riders know this. For myself I know I ridden over 60 Nationals and Firstgear has ridden almost as many.

Well since we are way off topic (yep partly my fault, all my fault on this one) I shall state an opinion of mine concerning different organizations holding events.

MOTA does not need to stick with the same rules as the NATC. It is the riders responsibility to be informed of the rules for the event in which they are participating in. The NATC has a copy of the rules right on the website. Easy enough to become familiar with.

as an example, MOTA, TI, NATC, ITSA, all hold events, all have differences in their rules. If I want to ride an ITSA event I need to be sure to get familiar with the rules.

I agree that it is great that MOTA wants to have our top riders compete at the national level. I have ridden 2 rounds (total so far) and it is tough. First thing I did was read the NATC rules. Much respect for those that have done many NATC events and placed well, many members of MOTA have done just that. :banana2:

If the majority of MOTA members are pleased with using the same rules as NATC then fine, no problem, that is what we use. But no member of MOTA should feel stupid for making a suggestion for a rule change or a class designation change .

Edited by ZIPPY

I may have room to bring my "Trials Quad" :banana2::hyper:

OK it is just a 1986 Yamaha YFM80, but it has gone over a few logs and I can hop the front end around. (but then again who couldn't with this little quad)

I think riding different stuff in different competitions has pros and cons. We had a time when we had the non-stop rule in our nationals but not in international competition and that was being regarded as disadvantage, so we changed it. Sometime last century we had bonus points, so you got your regular dabs and bonus points for stopping, they don't count like dabs, but might be used when two equal results are... Just an idea...

Oh, and during the non-stop time we had once the term "dynamic stop", that did not count as a stop (when coming up an obstacle you have a split second when you don't move)... That might be the direction in which 'Zippy' is thinking...

I ride different competitions (diff. rules) in different countries, it works

I know the bike is not the problem, but my spine still needs healing (nothing broken, but sprained when going over the handlebars 2 weeks ago). But wait till I visit in late fall!

Everyone of MOTA, have a blast in Rose city!!!

Ok so I am bumED!!!

Its Saturday around 11:20. My boss told me that I had to work today. Well at least I have a job so I can't really look a gift horse in the mouth. I am all packed to go up to Rose City right after i get out at 2:30. So lets go through the check list...

Convertible with matching trailer.... Check

Gasgas with faulty voltage regulator and no power to the fan.... Check

Moped for dramatic effect and possibly a few drunken laughs.... Check

Mini keg of Bells Two Hearted Ale (great michigan beer) ..... Check

A multitude of 9 volt batteries to supliment the lack of voltage regulator.... Check

prepared.jpg

Well looks like I am all set to go. See you all tonight and if any of you read this then get off of the computer and start riding!!!!

--Biff

To the East Side Trials club.

Thanks to all in the East Side Trials club for hosting a great 2 days of riding. It was obvious that allot of work was put into the new property!

Section layout was nice with something for everyone! Again, great job!

A special thanks to the Bent Wheels club for opening up the property for us to all enjoy!

Glad you enjoyed it. We had fun putting it together. A little weary after the fact- but all is good!

This would be a great time for constructive critique. Not just looking for a bunch of "thank you's" (they really are appreciated though!) Anything that was good and bad, but worth talking about - all in an effort to make next years event better.

Is the two day format the way to go?

Trailloop length?

Difficulty of sections? Tougher? Easier?

More big stuff for Adv- Experts?

Food concessions?

Cost of event-Camping and electric fees?

Distance?

Just stuff to gab about.

We would LOVE to build something that might attract a few more Non-MOTA regulars both in and out of state. Any ideas?

First off had a blast,

I got 3rd place both days YEEEAAAAAHHHHH!

ok so there was only 3 riders in ADV. :banana2:

Two day seems like the way to go. Really liked starting Sunday at 10:00, works better for those of us that work Sunday night.

Loop length was a bit long, and I had heard some of the lower classes, Beginner Novice etc. had some trouble with the rutted up portions of the loop. I would imagine the rutted up downhills gave them trouble.

One more about the loop. I really liked how the parking/camping area was in the middle, I would ride Sections 1-6 Stop get a drink, then ride 7-10, stop get a drink, worked really well.

Sections--- I thought the ADV lines were just about right. One of the top ADV riders was getting 30-something both days so I don't think they need to be made more difficult. I think there was a good mix of technical and big "Oh Crap" stuff.

Camping charge---can't be too bad it also included parking for both days.

Concessions or food----I usually don't eat till later, and then I like to go to restaurant and sit in a soft chair to match my squishy behind.

Distance-----All events in MI are approx. 2 hrs for me so distance good.

I'll break my thought down per each question.

1. Is the two day format the way to go?

2 day event is great for this location and Indiana Not sure if I'd like it any other place.

2. Trailloop length?

Loop was nice. a little rough to actually relax on but still I enjoyed it. I heard it was 3.5 miles? Is that accurate?

3. Difficulty of sections? Tougher? Easier?

Only complaint was there was a little to much hopping. Most ADV/Exp guys can hop but having to hop in 2 or 3 spots per section in 6 out of 10 sections makes it tough. Adv line was nice for both days. I would say a little light on Sat but nice on Sunday. Bike stalls on Sat added to my points.

4. More big stuff for Adv- Experts?

ADV was fine. A couple hairy drop offs into the stream I would not of put ADV down put they all rode nice.

5. Food concessions?

Wow, ther was food there? I did not know that but? I spent little time up by sign up so I must of missed it? . Badlands had a great breakfast!!

6. Cost of event-Camping and electric fees?

No problems here.

7. Distance?

No problems here.

Just my thoughts.

You'll never please all, but here are my comments:

I support the two day format for a couple locations each year.

Trailloop length?

I like it, it gives me time to vent after my 5's. But could see it being difficult for beginners.

Pretty much spot on for experts. A 30-40 point is spot on for 1st place. With the nice terrain, too much hopping, especially on Sat. As Firstgear said 3 or 4 different spots in a section is too much, one or two spots is fine and should be expected.

The big stuff that was there (including the big up's coming out of the river) was just right for me. Stay below 4' on drop-off for the sake of the bike. Since we typically don't have spotters, be careful on getting too big. No one got hurt so, I'd say right on par.

Food concessions?

Same as Zippy's comment. Don't know if you did, but providing your hard working checkers with a beverage, sandwich, and chips is nice.

Good

Distance?

Good

I have to agree with the others -

2-day - Given that there is adequate space for camping at the grounds

Loop - I was herding two novice riders around, and neither had any trouble.

Difficulty - If I could get 1 clean on most of the sections, the other SPT riders may have thought it was too easy :D , but I thought it was good

Adv/Exp - Like I know :D

Consessions - Didn't know there were any, if there was, it could have been advertised better

Cost - Seemed reasonable to me

Distance - Probably wouldn't have seemed too bad if I hadn't started when I'd already been up for 20 hours

Overall - :bouncy:;)

Can't remember having so much fun taking so many points! East Side has diehard members that worked their buns off - thank you!!

On to the quiz...

Is the two day format the way to go? Indiana and Rose City are the long travel events for me so a two-day is welcome. Don't think I'd want more though.

Trailloop length? The dust is the only complaint, and that's just the air cleaner talking. I wouldn't complain about backups if another couple of sections were in that 7-10 area. It's like heaven back there.

Difficulty of sections? Tougher? Easier? I entered SR on Sat but got sucked into riding much of the SPT line cause there were so many fun looking things to play with. Great stuff. Entered Sr again Sun thinking I'd actually ride it, but got sucked in again. Did go over the bars a few times - along with the normal crashes but nothing was damaged. That all made for as good of time as you could ask for. Perfect.

More big stuff for Adv- Experts? That's none of my business.

Food concessions? Not important here because Wendy brings her kitchen to feed Jeff.

Cost of event-Camping and electric fees? $10.00 to keep the beer cold is cheap.

Distance? It's a problem when you flush the keys to your truck down the hotel toilet.

Can't help but notice all the MOTA clubs are working hard, constantly improving the quality of their events. The bar keeps getting raised higher and higher. Property owners that don't ride are a big part of this too. It's a great time to be riding in MOTA!

I really liked the two day format for that location. It was nice to make a weekend out of it and the after event going to dinner and camping out was almost as much fun as the event itself.

Trailloop length?

I thought the trail was awesome! It was nice to have a longer and slightly tougher with the ruts Trials Inc style loop here in Michigan. I also think it was plenty Beginner friendly compared to some of the shale and sandstone filled creekbeds you sometimes find in TI events that can be much tougher than the novice sections themselves!

I thought the sections seemed about right for the most part. Looking at the novice scores, maybe those could be made just a little bit harder.

I thought there was a pretty good balance between the big and the technical for expert anyways. As for the hopping, I think a lot of the sections could be ridden without much hopping but a lot of riders, myself included, add in some extra hopping to open up a better line at something as they feel there is less risk of dabbing while hopping as opposed to riding a trickier line. It's really hard to set up sections and accomodate all the classes and keep the the upper class riders from hopping around and finding different lines than the setup crew intended or even thought of using ribbon and splits, but that is a seperate discussion in itself!

Food concessions?

Didn't know there was any.

Seemed like a good deal to me!

Distance?

A little over 3 hours for me making it the furthest event but being a two day made the distance a non-issue.

I cant really think of any changes that you guys could have made.

Be sensitive of the younger riders on the loop but some times the loop is the hard part.

I have started to put up some videos that mitchell took. I have not gone through them all yet but here are a first few.

Sorry about labeling. Check out Mikes slide into home base on section 1.

I have to weed through what mitchell took but if its mostly me crashing then i wont bother posting them... hahaha.

--Biff

Edited by biffsgasgas