Boyesen Reeds, Worthwhile?

kimpybugalugs

Hi all.

Has anyone fitted Boyesen reeds on their TY175? If so did it make much difference and what difference (bottom end, top end etc.)?

Did you have to change anything else (jetting?)?

I know guys with moto X bikes that reckon these are a must have.

Cheers.

Edited by kimpybugalugs

I fitted Boyesen reeds to a TY250D twinshock motor at the same time as it getting a rebore. It needed the air screw adjustment changed to get the jetting right again. I cannot feel any difference in performance or response riding that bike compared with another bike I have with a recently rebored TY250B motor fitted with standard Yamaha reeds. Both motors are standard except for both having their flywheels lightened the same amount.

A riding friend fitted Boyesen reeds and a reed case spacer to his TY175C at the same time as a rebore. He could not attribute any performance improvement to the reeds or the spacer.

• Thanks 1

Hi, I have only just fitted some Boyesen reed valves to my TY175 and have only had chance to give it a ride around the garden,I did have to adjust the slow running mixture to increase the richness as per instructions but I would say it is more responsive.I would like to say that I have spent quite a lot of money on the engine getting it just right and I think that if you have a bike that is a bit on the knackered side then fitting the Boyesens will probably not improve it.I should be doing a classic trial in a few weeks time so I will let you know how the bike performs all round.

Regards Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who were interested, done a trial today which was set out for modern and classic bikes with plenty of steep hill climbs. I thought the bike had enough demanding sections to give me an opinion on as to wether the Boyesen reed valves gave any benefits, all's I can say is that it did appear to be more crisper of the throttle and at no point did it lack power. I would like to point out that the original reeds and reed cage were in as new condition before fitting, so the improvement could not be down to just fitting the new Boyesen's. My mate gave my bike a spin and he thought the same as me and that was that it had improved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 10 years later...

Hey fellows. Fitting new TDR reeds and the RD350 Intake Manifold onto my 175C. 

What mods are considered good on the existing TY175C Airbox for better air flow. 

Jetting issues from the mods?  I have a 27.5 pilot jet available to replace the 25. 

And,....any tips on sandpaper-ing  the reed cage ?

thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

How old were the stock reeds. If there old as in from back in the day. Then it's wise to get rid of them anyway. 

If they fail because of age they will take the piston n barrel with them. 

At least if the fibre reeds fail they will do no damage. 

Edited by shakennstirred

We used to fit Boysen Reeds to nearly every Yamaha RD 250/350 LC that we sold, this included DTs and TYs.  We opened out the reed block by carefully removing rubber and aluminium from the area immediately beneath the reed, taking care to leave a good sealing edge for the reed. The standard metal reeds if damaged by high revs will break and bits will enter the engine causing alot of damage. As the Boysen Reeds are made from a laminate material they can withstand high rpm without breaking, if they did break they did little damage but you still had to fish all the pieces out. The reed limit plates were adjusted to giving more opening, you’re not supposed to do this but we did and got good results. I used to keep a TY 175 demo reed block on the counter, one side was modified the other not. This made people sit up and take notice, I never showed the LC reed block as I wanted my secret safe until the customer paid for the mods. Air flow was improved by a potential 20% in each tract. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shakennstirred said:

How old were the stock reeds. If there old as in from back in the day. Then it's wise to get rid of them anyway.  

I believe my 74 TY still has the original reeds...is it advisable to change them for the reason stated? and is it usage or simply the passage of time that would necessitate their replacement?  thanks always, i learn so much here :)

Edited by johnnyjazz

5 hours ago, johnnyjazz said:

I believe my 74 TY still has the original reeds...is it advisable to change them for the reason stated? and is it usage or simply the passage of time that would necessitate their replacement?  thanks always, i learn so much here :)

I would and did with my 38 year old Beamish Suzuki. 

I went for hytech reeds in mine and at just £14 it was a no brainer. In fact they are for a ty250 as no one makes them for the Beamish and as the Beamish Reed block is almost a direct copy of the TY Reed block they are bolt straight in. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johnnyjazz said:

if anything change them now.....old metal becomes brittle and weak in terms of spring. Fit new reeds metal or Boysen type and you will notice better response all through the rev range?‍?

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 2:01 PM, section swept said:

We used to fit Boysen Reeds to nearly every Yamaha RD 250/350 LC that we sold, this included DTs and TYs.  We opened out the reed block by carefully removing rubber and aluminium from the area immediately beneath the reed, taking care to leave a good sealing edge for the reed. The standard metal reeds if damaged by high revs will break and bits will enter the engine causing alot of damage. As the Boysen Reeds are made from a laminate material they can withstand high rpm without breaking, if they did break they did little damage but you still had to fish all the pieces out. The reed limit plates were adjusted to giving more opening, you’re not supposed to do this but we did and got good results. I used to keep a TY 175 demo reed block on the counter, one side was modified the other not. This made people sit up and take notice, I never showed the LC reed block as I wanted my secret safe until the customer paid for the mods. Air flow was improved by a potential 20% in each tract. 

Great info. 

If I recall (reed block not in sight), there is a rubber coating on reed block’s area where the reeds close. And you sand this away? Just want to be sure! 

Also, as far as I know, original reeds are in my TY175C  

Thanks!

On 2/13/2019 at 8:01 AM, section swept said:

When I bought Boyesen reeds for TY175s and TY250s in the 2000s, the instructions said to fit them without the Yamaha limit plates. Are you saying that at some point in time, the limit plates were intended to be retained when you fitted Boyesen reeds?

11 hours ago, feetupfun said:

When I bought Boyesen reeds for TY175s and TY250s in the 2000s, the instructions said to fit them without the Yamaha limit plates. Are you saying that at some point in time, the limit plates were intended to be retained when you fitted Boyesen reeds?

Defo on the LC’s 

13 hours ago, motosolex said:

Great info. 

If I recall (reed block not in sight), there is a rubber coating on reed block’s area where the reeds close. And you sand this away? Just want to be sure! 

Also, as far as I know, original reeds are in my TY175C  

Thanks!

Noooo you need to retain some coating for the reeds to seal against and cushioning, no sanding used.... all hand scraped.

On 2/14/2019 at 2:36 AM, feetupfun said:

always taken the stops off for trials applications