Clutch Slipping

angusgill

the dextron red atf stuff and the correct ammount not 500ml or 200ml something like 300-400

You might want to think about using the Type-F ATF, rather than the Dexron, as you have the thinner spring. I'd pull the clutch cover and check the height of the clutch fingers and I usually run mine about 17.5+-mm. One type of the new clutch pack has two fiber plates the same thickness and the third fiber is thicker (used to determine the assembled width of the pack) and should always go in first.

Double check that you have some clearance where the adjustment screw on the clutch lever meets the plunger that goes into the master cylinder (where the rubber boot is).

Jon

17.5 mm from where, the fluid level is ok.

The measurement is taken from the hub of the basket to the top of the fingers and is an indication of installed clutch pack width and mechanical leverage/pressure. Check out: http://www.trialspartsusa.com/tech.html and most of your questions will be answered. I see Jim Snell has added some new videos and info for GasGas riders wanting to do their own work and you'll you'll find this is probably the best site for reference.

Jon

Related story. I have an 05 Sherco 290. Whenever in 1, 2, 3 and going downhill with the clutch in the engine stays idled depending on speed it doesn't seem to want to slow the engine down. I figured the clutch was not fully disengaged so I adjusted the little adjuster guy on the clutch lever in more and gave it another whirl. Seemed fine and life was good. Had a trial two days ago with a couple long rides between sections and hit 4 and 5 for the first time in quite a while. Bike wanted to slip very easily in these gears. 1, 2, and 3 worked flawlessly in the sections. Got looking at it afterwards and I had adjusted the little adjuster so far that it never came out far enough to pump more fluid into the line. (this is my first hydraulic clutch) The next day I adjusted the lever out so the plunger could come out further and then rode around the yard a bit. I don't really have a lot of room to get up to a good speed and put it in 4, and 5 so I got going a bit and shifted it up anyway. Now it grabs enough to stall the bike if I would let it. Not sure if it had anything to do with running temperature but it is working well now. HOWEVER I am back to the idling high with the clutch in situation. Not sure if that is all an adjustment or why it would grab like heck in 1, 2, 3 but slip in 4 or 5 but I thought it might be relevant.