Drilling Clutch Bolt Head Off

angusgill

its come to the last resort of drilling the clutch bolt head out/off, i have tried everything from tapping it around with a punch,torx, and snap on easy outs!! do i drill the head off, pull the clutch off then use a pair of mole grips on the threaded bit sticking out?

its come to the last resort of drilling the clutch bolt head out/off, i have tried everything from tapping it around with a punch,torx, and snap on easy outs!! do i drill the head off, pull the clutch off then use a pair of mole grips on the threaded bit sticking out?

That might be the way to do it. That booger is down inside the shaft but you'll want to get the last piece out. Even though it seems welded in now, Murphy's Law dictates that it will loosen and drop into the clutch if left inside and the engine buttoned up.

Jon

Thats the way I'd do it but be warned I went to the 'Hackit and Bodgem' school of mechanics! :banana2:

I'd be as careful as possible not to damage the clutch basket itself using as smaller drill bit as I could to get the job done and then make sure even after cleaning it before reassembly to do maybe 2 quick oil changes to ensure any filings are out.

Edited by tt5th