Important Ssdt Info

overthehill

SSDT Secretary and all round good lass - our very own Highland Lassie - is getting on her push bike and pedaling for Leukaemia Research charity.

Few people fully appreciate the time, effort and commitment that HL gives to motorcycle trials - not just to the SSDT but she also helps in other events such as timekeeping the Scott.

If you want to say a small thank you to her please read what follows and give a little to the very worthwhile cause.

I will let the words of HL tell you the detail

"Some of you may have heard of Pedal For Scotland, but for those who haven't, it's a charity cycle from Glasgow to Edinburgh - 51 miles in total, and it's taking place on Sunday 14th September. It may not sound like much, but for an overly-plump thirty-something that hasn't been on a bike since she was fourteen, this will be a pretty major achievement, so I'm hoping that you'll all realise how much of a challenge it will be for me and that you'll dig deep to help out!

It was less than a fortnight ago that my esteemed colleague Samantha suggested this mad cycle...and I laughed in her face - nae chance! I had no bike, no energy and not even a glimmer of hope that I'd be able to cycle 51 miles in less than eight weeks time. However, she persevered and pestered me for the rest of the morning and sent me the link to the Pedal For Scotland website. When I realised it was for charity I thought twice - those of you close to the family will know just how many great relatives we've lost to cancer over the last few years.

The decision was made that afternoon when I got the news that my friend who'd been given the all clear just a week before after two years of treatment had just been diagnosed with secondary tumours and had no more than a month to live - there was no way I could refuse to cycle after that. So that's it, in a nutshell. Within an hour of leaving work that night I'd bought a bike, helmet, and most importantly (!) a gel saddle and padded cycling shorts! If anyone fancies joining us, we'd love to see you there - the more the merrier, but if not, a pound or two will keep me happy!

If it sways things for you, that tough cookie has insisted on the treatment that they didn't think would work, she's been to hospital every day for the past three weeks and has just been told today that she's heading towards the six month mark. She's aiming for the year though, and given what she's dealt with so far, my money's on her!!

If you're interested in cycling, the details are on www.pedalforscotland.org

If you'll sponsor us, you can sponsor us online at http://www.justgiving.com/samantharyan3

Go on - of all the people who selflessly give up their time for others HL must be top of the list - lets give her a little thank-you back - it will make her day.

Edited by overthehill

Have put a link on my website and facebook page for you and will try and encorage a few people i know.

Excellent - thank you!! I've discovered that refusing to help anybody at work unless they sponsor me a tenner works a treat - got seventy quid doing that today, and there's still four weeks to go!! :thumbup: