Rim Sealing ! I Need Help !

davh

Right guys i am needing help sealing my rear wheel, i've tried silicon, tiger seal, but nothing seems to hold air !! i had my rims anodisied and don't know if that has had any effect it shouldn't have but hey you never know ! It's starting to drive me insane everytime i got out on my bike i have to pump the tyre up every hour, i have checked i don't have a puncture, and it's a new dunlop thats on the bike which is meant to be a better fit ?????

Hoping someone has had this experience before ???

If not anyone selling a montesa rim as thats the next move !!!!!

I don't want to run tyre gunk but it might do a temporary measure !!

Any help would be apreciated

Cheers

Dave

you need to check for leaks at 6psi

lather up soap flakes into a snotty drippy mix, apply it with a paint brush to the area between rim/tyre and also over the spoke nipples. you'll soon see where the leaks are as bubbles will form. If it is the rim area leaking, simply break the bead again, clean tyre and rim and reseat, check at 6psi. You may need to do this a couple of times for success. If leaking from spoke nipples, remove tyre and follow the instructions exactly in this manual http://www.sherco.com.au/downloads/wayne/R...nt%20Manual.pdf

Great advise from trialchamp but also check the valve around the entry to wheel and also the valve itself with the snotty stuff.

Valves themelves can fail at any time and a good tip for all riders is go to local tyre fitters and ask the lads for some valves and caps (they have millions on top and around tyre machine) and pop them in match box in top of tool box.

One thing you will def need is patience! My spoke nipples leaked, I took the tyre off, cleaned and repositioned the rim tape and put it back on. It leaked more than ever.

Took the tyre off again, repositioned the rim tape and put it back on again. Less leak this time.

Then again... less leak.

Then again... less leak.

I've got it down to 1psi per day now and have given up.

Those who tell you it's easy must have magic in their fingers :thumbup:

I have always used stickaflex or black mastick to seal my rear wheel, applying it to each spoke before attaching the rim tape. After this I always put some mastick on top of the rim tape and around the valve seat. This is all good until you snap a spoke and need to remove the tape, but its an evenings work to remove the tape and mastick, replace the spoke and re-seal the wheel. John Lampkin recommended stickflex to me when I was preparing my bike for Scotland.

I have always used stickaflex or black mastick to seal my rear wheel, applying it to each spoke before attaching the rim tape. After this I always put some mastick on top of the rim tape and around the valve seat. This is all good until you snap a spoke and need to remove the tape, but its an evenings work to remove the tape and mastick, replace the spoke and re-seal the wheel. John Lampkin recommended stickflex to me when I was preparing my bike for Scotland.

or if you get a loose spoke another evenings work? And after a few goes how much difficulty will you have sealing it again?