Rtl Kickstart Assembly

flowerpotracing

Hello, forum virgin here!

Restoring a mates RTL. Jap import, 1986. Very nice bike needing some TLC, but missing the kickstart.

A NOS one has been located. It has the wrong spline hole (it's too small and the spline is much coarser) but the shape is perfect.

Has anyone got one they'd like to swap?

Looking at it, I could get another Honda kickstart and swap the knuckles over. Anyone know what other Hondas share the same spline as an 86 RTL .....?

Can you post pics on this forum? I'd gladly post some pics of the work in progress. It's nearing completion and is looking the business!

Hey Dom, good to hear from you. I will give you a call.

Tim, thanks for asking. All is well. Life is good and I am happy. We had a great time hosting the Montesa boys at the USGP. Fuji and Bou were incredible. Just had back surgery, so no riding for at least a year.

Sorry to hijack your thread Mr Flowerpot.

Martin

Restoring a mates RTL. Jap import, 1986. Very nice bike needing some TLC, but missing the kickstart.

A NOS one has been located. It has the wrong spline hole (it's too small and the spline is much coarser) but the shape is perfect.

Looking at it, I could get another Honda kickstart and swap the knuckles over. Anyone know what other Hondas share the same spline as an 86 RTL .....?

Can you post pics on this forum? I'd gladly post some pics of the work in progress. It's nearing completion and is looking the business!

Don't believe anything shares the same spline as the RTL. Have you tried Ellastone Offroad as they are always bringing stuff in from Japan, he knows Hondas pretty well and may be able to source an RTL kickstart for you.

If you really get stuck and it's preventing the bike being ridden, assuming it's a rider not a looker, it's possible to fit a TLR200 shaft, casing and kickstart to one of the RTL motors, not sure which one, or maybe both. Not sure about how this would position the kickstart in relation to the frame/ancilliaries though, it may foul something.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the advice.

I am hoping my mate in Japan can help source one for me. Could use the knuckle off another Honda and the TLR lever on that knuckle to complete the job.

Will also contact Ellastone also, but some of his prices do seem a bit wild! (

• 11 months later...