Sy 250 Clutch Bleed, How ?

vaughan

Vaughan,

I think that just recently there was a long winded discussion on this very subject.

Take a look at the picture that I attached. This is how the slave cylinder should look before you pull in the clutch lever. If there is more room than shown between the lever and the end of the cylinder the clutch is out of adjustment and you will never be able to bleed or adjust it. To bleed the slave cylinder you must remove the tank, carb, airbox, and top bolt on the on shock. Remove the bolt from the slave cylinder and thread slave cylinder and hose past the rear brake reservoir. Clip the ny-tie and hold the slave cylinder up next to the master cylinder. It is a good idea to mark the orientation of the hose fitting in relation to the slave cylinder. Unscrew the hose from the slave cylinder and and tie off the hose to the brake lever at the same level as the clutch master cylinder. Hold the slave cylinder so that the hole is pointing up and fill it with brake fluid. Push the plunger into the slave cylinder and re-fill until all of the bubbles are gone. Pump some clutch fluid through the hose and then screw the hose onto the slave cylinder. At this point the slave cylinder will have excess fluid in it. Thread the slave cylinder back down to it's original position and bolt it in place. While adjusting the slave cylinder into place you will have to compress the slave cylinder. This will force the excess fluid up the hose and into the reservoir bleeding the cylinder. When you actuate the clutch lever with the reservoir lid and gasket out make sure that the piston makes a full stroke so that is will bleed out any trapped air. If it is running in the right part of its stroke you will not have a problem with the clutch. Most problems with a Scorpa clutch stem from the slave cylinder running too far out in its stroke. When this happens the clutch lever will not be able to be pulled back to the handle bar. When the clutch lever is pulled too far (if adjusted properly this should not happen) the slave cylinder piston will bottom against the cir-clip and force fluid to leak around the fitting or break the slave cylinder (this option costs about $70). No amount of tightening will stop this leak. I fixed the bottoming out problem with my Scorpa wit a suggestion made by Ryan Young. He said to place the lock nut on the other side of the lever not like it is shown in the picture. This solved the problem with my bike and had I done it first I would have save the money for the new slave cylinder.

Hope this helps.

My writing was assisted by the Grand Teton Brewing Company Bitch Creek ESB Ale.

DFW

post-304-1219718792.jpg

Edited by dfwilson

• 14 years later...