Kt250 At A National Approx 1976

michaelmoore

The muffler is a little lighter and allows you to repack it. The OEM pipe is not designed to be disassembled.

The clutch cover is, I think, mainly to look cool. My stock clutch setup has never given me any problems. Changing a cable on the KX cover would be faster to do.

cheers,

Michael

Seems like they must have been using ones from the KXs that were current with the KT - 1975/76. I suppose you might be able to compare clutch cover gasket part numbers. I don't know if you'd have to change any additional relase mechanism parts inside the clutch or cover.

cheers,

Michael

• 9 years later...

Hey All, Seems I'm 10 years late on this topic!  Just happen to stumble across your site!  I have Steve Darrow's KT302.  We rode with Steve in the 70's and early 80's in La Honda, CA with PITS.  He sold the bike to my Dad I believe in 78 or 79.  Came with 2 tanks and a ton of parts.  One of the tanks read "Let the good times roll over Leavitt's bull."  (Lane Leavitt)  Yes, not the same color scheme but hey I was 19 when I restored it.....very long ago 1990.  Now I'm going to go over it again with my 14 year old. 

20180722_121652 (1).jpg

20180722_121401.jpg

20180722_121700.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2008 at 6:49 AM, jaylael said:

Two different bikes for sure. One is a 74 type and other is 76 type. The older one must be Darrow's bike. It has the KX kickstarter to go with the KX clutch cover, and apparently a Sammy Miller muffler. This bike must be a fair bit lighter than stock. Just the weight reduction from the exhaust alone would be like 2 or 3 pounds I bet. It looks as if Darrow riveted some white nylon to the skid plate allowing it to glide over those grippy granite rocks. I bet this was a very effective machine. The relocating of the swingarm pivot which I had done to mine, transforms the bike's handling, making it feel allot lighter, and softens up the back end because of the different leverage ratios applied to the shocks.

I bet Curt Comer has some KT pics in his archives, and how about Gary LaPlante. Those guys had bikes similar to the Darrow bike and rode them in the nationals. I remember a guy from Texas who rode these as well. His name eludes me at the moment, but I remember he was super nice and a really talented rider. There is also guy from California, who built a mono KT 250 who was at Donner National in 1976. This bike looked so cool, but I understand it didn't work super good. I would love to see some photos of that bike. It had a snail type expansion chamber on it! :D

Actually it is the same bike.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2008 at 11:49 PM, jaylael said:

Two different bikes for sure. One is a 74 type and other is 76 type. The older one must be Darrow's bike. It has the KX kickstarter to go with the KX clutch cover, and apparently a Sammy Miller muffler. This bike must be a fair bit lighter than stock. Just the weight reduction from the exhaust alone would be like 2 or 3 pounds I bet. It looks as if Darrow riveted some white nylon to the skid plate allowing it to glide over those grippy granite rocks. I bet this was a very effective machine. The relocating of the swingarm pivot which I had done to mine, transforms the bike's handling, making it feel allot lighter, and softens up the back end because of the different leverage ratios applied to the shocks.

I bet Curt Comer has some KT pics in his archives, and how about Gary LaPlante. Those guys had bikes similar to the Darrow bike and rode them in the nationals. I remember a guy from Texas who rode these as well. His name eludes me at the moment, but I remember he was super nice and a really talented rider. There is also guy from California, who built a mono KT 250 who was at Donner National in 1976. This bike looked so cool, but I understand it didn't work super good. I would love to see some photos of that bike. It had a snail type expansion chamber on it! :D

Jay if you are still on here, what change did you make to the location of the swingarm pivot?