03 Pro Difficult To Start

wobbly1

Have any of you experienced trouble starting a GasGas?

I have an 03 280 Pro which is difficult to start when cold. Once it has started it runs fine and when warmed up it will start first or second kick.

I run unleaded fuel with around 75:1 mix. I have stripped the carb, cleaned the jets and the choke is working OK. The jets are as recommended in the manual. The plug is clean and I have checked that there is a spark.

A mate of mine has an 02 250 Pro and he also sometimes has trouble when his bike is cold.

My previous bike was a TY250 and that almost always started first time so maybe I have been spoiled!

Do I just need a stronger right leg?????

I am tempted to try a platinum plug to see if the bigger spark will help.

Anybody with any experience of platinum plugs?

:D Here are 2 thinks that you can try.

Change the starter jet,the long jet with the o-ring. the stock jet is a 60. Go to a 70 or 80 the bike will start easier.

the other option we use when it gets very cold, below 32. turn the fuel on then lay the bike on its side for a few seconds, pick it up full choke no throttle it should start in a kick or 2. This works on all the bikes with dellorto carbs.

On my 02 pro i drilled out the starter jet to the next index drill sizeand it starts better cold and hot :santa1:

I agree with the laying the bike over trick. Can't explain how or why it works but can tell you that when it gets real cold here, my 00 GG will only start if its been laid over first. Once it comes to kicking, NO throttle and a few kicks and I'm good to go. Someone explained to me recently that the Dell Orto carbs don't have a choke, but rather, have an enrichment circuit and that this circuit will have difficulty drawing fuel if the throttle is opened.

Thanks for all the replies. It was around freezing point when we both had problems.

Investigated reasons why lying the bike on it's side may help and found the information on the following web site. URL=http://www.owners.heskethmotorcycles.co.uk/technical/dellorto%20PHF%20carb/dellorto_3_3.html]Dellorto tuning[/url]

It looks a though lying the bike on it's side raises the fuel level in the float chamber which increases the amount of fuel through the emulsion tubes.

I've not had chance to do much on the bike this weekend and the weather has been quite mild. I'll give your suggestions a try next time it gets cold.

It's not just Delorto that works with the tipping over trick. Every MXer I've ever had did the same thing. Basically your "spilling" some fuel direct into the intake...kind of a primer, as opposed to a choke. In fact, I've rarely seen a 2 stroke with a "true" choke.

Same as Joe, it is just basicly pouring a bit of raw gas on into the engine to get it going.

Learned that on my RMX when I could not get it going and had kicked till I was blue in the face. Old RMX guy comes over and says to lay the bike on its side and pick it back up and it will start, I got to say I looked at him rather stupid but I was pretty desperate to get to the starting line. Worked like a charm.

Every MX'er I've had, I used the same 'lean it over, wait till you smell petrol, then fire it up' trick - worked on everything from '75 elsinore through to 90's CR250.

I had a problem starting my 250 GG Pro (03), but the problem was when the engine was hot. Traced the problem to incorrect float height - seemed to cure the problem, but was always wary of stopping the bike at the furthest section from the pits, and it not starting. Caught me out before I traced the float height problem - bloody long way back pushing a bike !

• 4 weeks later...

I come from road bikes with electric start that always needed throttle. I bought a TY250 a few years ago and used the same throttle technique and never had a problem.

Not touching the throttle and leaning the bike over seems to have done the trick. I've not altered the jets - plan on seeing if I have problems fisrt.

Hi I have the same problem with an `95 250 Gas Gas when the weather is cold it is a real pain to start but once the engine is warmed through it starts first kick the only way to get it going I have found is to take out the plug and tip a little fuel down the plug hole it will then fire up first kick. I have tried lots of trick plugs but none seem to make a difference, will try the tipping over method lot easier than taking the plug out every cold day.