Taming The 4t

borus

i'm seriously considering a 09 4t however the last test ride i had on an 08 i felt it was just too powerful for me at that time. my guess to tame it a bit would be a slow throttle, run it on the softer map and maybe a sprocket change. aside from that has anyone added flywheel weights, if so what do you think and what other possibilities are there. i know this is way out there but has anyone played with the mapping like on the mont 4rt?

cheers :iamwithstupid:

Hi Borus - I rode an 08 quite a lot this year and the first thing I did was put a slow throttle on it - However once I got used to the bike, I refitted the stock quick throttle - My feeling is that any 4 Stroke takes a LOT of time to adjust to after a 2 Stroke. - I would say go ahead - buy one but just ride it for a month before you start making any changes. BTW this bike also takes many hours to break in the engine - the more hours the better it runs.

Hi Borus - I rode an 08 quite a lot this year and the first thing I did was put a slow throttle on it - However once I got used to the bike, I refitted the stock quick throttle - My feeling is that any 4 Stroke takes a LOT of time to adjust to after a 2 Stroke. - I would say go ahead - buy one but just ride it for a month before you start making any changes. BTW this bike also takes many hours to break in the engine - the more hours the better it runs.

thanks dave, great advice, what were the biggests differences to the 290?

cheer

Hi Borus - Well obviously the biggest difference is the engine - this bike will lug right down similar to the old style 4 strokes of the 50's, but will pull very,very strongly from slow speeds - I practiced using higher gears and used the clutch probably more than needed, but the engine is super smooth, and I also found the 5 speed tranny just fine on this bike. - I've also had a few rides on the Beta Rev 4 ( I sell both brands) - this engine is completely different and of course the 08 model is only a 250. Again I stress that bike time is very important, but I can tell you that the Sherco 4T is one of the most "Fun" bikes I've ridden for a long time.

I tend to agree with Dave on that one, as they are very tractable off the bottom and chug along well. Past half, build up your arms for the accel and decel when you let off, just a beauty thing of a real 4T!

I will have me one before it is done! :iamwithstupid:

Just picked up an 08 4t and been playing on it in the field. Its only too powerful if you ride it like a 2 stroke. Ive found 1st gear to be fine for most things and it gripped well without going over half throttle (slow action). On steps i found 2nd suitable but when used with the clutch a lot more. Ive tried my hardest to tell the difference between the 2 maps but cant notice very much. I think a few teeth bigger on the back would slow it down but might be a bit jumpy, so ill stick with the 42 mostly because i cnt afford to experiment with different ones.

Finally i should add that its laying on its side in the garage after the oil filter plug cracked when i tightened it, wont be doing that again.

Finally i should add that its laying on its side in the garage after the oil filter plug cracked when i tightened it, wont be doing that again.

Why did you over tighten the the oil filter plug? Was the o-ring seal leaking? Mine was leaking so I found an o-ring that had a larger cross section and replaced it, leak fixed.

Wayne

Why did you over tighten the the oil filter plug? Was the o-ring seal leaking? Mine was leaking so I found an o-ring that had a larger cross section and replaced it, leak fixed.

Wayne

Id had the bike a day when i noticed a lillte bit of oil on the surface of the cap, not all collecting at the base but actually on the cap. I thought it just needed a little nip up but the tiny amount of pressure cracked it, although the previous leaking suggests it had been overtightened before and started to crack. Oh well, the new ones fitted and i wont be doing that again.

Just ordered an awesome set of bars for it too although i doubt they will tame the power at all.... :iamwithstupid:

Id had the bike a day when i noticed a lillte bit of oil on the surface of the cap, not all collecting at the base but actually on the cap. I thought it just needed a little nip up but the tiny amount of pressure cracked it, although the previous leaking suggests it had been overtightened before and started to crack. Oh well, the new ones fitted and i wont be doing that again.

Just ordered an awesome set of bars for it too although i doubt they will tame the power at all.... :iamwithstupid:

Watch it closely, you may have to install a new o-ring, mine would seep a little.

Wayne

I understand! Are there any opportunities for scholarships?

If I can pull it off, I will upgrade to the "09". So the "08" will probably be for sale in the spring, sooner if someone really wanted it.

Wayne

Well Wayne, suffice it to say that if you are white and middle classed, you have two strikes against you. Thankfully, there is a bit based upon academics! But the pure logistics, from TX to FL are killer, SPRING? Yea that is just about the time I have to empty the dorm room, bring things back for Summer, then repeat in fall! Which currently includes her car, which is basically a two day trip each way. Just about $1000 each time I go down and back, and four days off work.

My outgo is quickly exceeding my income!

I do not know if you have read other recent threads , but I am getting me a little Yamaha XT 225 enduro for short trips and possibly to work and back. Getting rid of the Quad that the wife and daughter never ride. I figure I can save 100-150 per month in fuel costs alone. But as you well know, only if the weather is good! Oh well, in a way it is all good! :iamwithstupid: