Fantic Model Numbers

woody

Thanks for that, but when you say engine number, does the engine number include a prefix/suffix of FM364, or would the model number FM364 be displayed on its own in addition to an engine number.

From what I've read/heard before, bikes like the 200 or 240 actually have the FM number shown seperately, maybe on a fixed on plate?

Basically, we need to ensure that a bike is a 303 and not a 243 or 203. The decals have long rubbed off so the problem is how to verify what it is, as they all look the same without decals. The bike is elsewhere and the person checking knows as much about Fantics as I do, so I'm trying to explain where to check by email/phone.

I just went out and refreshed my memory !!! The engines I have ,240's , are stamped with fantic 450 ,212cc then the serial #. The frame #'s are not where I said , on the 240 frames they are stamped on the gusset plate at the top of the front down tubes , below the steering head ,between the steering stops . And on my 240 frames they say fantic 450 and the serial #'s .

Hope it helps !

Glenn

So are you buying a 303 motor to slot into the Fantic 240 I saw you won on ebay!

Christ, you buggers don't miss a trick....... ;)

I actually bought the 240 for the forks and wheels as the bike looked fit for only breaking, someone else would have had what was left as spares for their 240. When I got it home and looked at it though, it was too good to break although the motor is shot so I thought ok, some time in the future I'll rebuild it as although not my favourite bike at the time (the one I had was awful) I've ridden one or two recently and thought they rode well. And they look nice.

I've no doubt they're probably the best out of the box twinshock but I could never ride mine in the style I liked, it needed the clutch all the time which I hate. It had a real aversion to being 'plonked' old fashioned style and first impressions last. The two I've tried recently though, as well as a 300, rode without the clutch no problem, the 300 I tried had a lovely motor, soft but loads of pull - perfect. When I saw the 303 which has a decent (mechanically I mean) motor I thought I'd take a punt and it's come for a lot less than a 240 rebuild would cost, so one day the 303 motor will worm its way into the 240. Although the 303 is a better motor, the 240 motor is plenty good enough in my opinion but the swap does mean a better motor again for less money than the rebuild. If the 240 motor was ok I wouldn't have bothered to be honest.

It's just having the time to do it now but it could be a bike to ride the Manx 2 day on next year.

Hi Woody,

I have 3 x 340s now. Two with 303 motors, one with a section bottom (hydraulik clutch) and a 305 top end. i also have a 240 with a 243 motor. All great but understzand what you mean about tzhe clutch. i dont mind that though...

You will need a 300 (size)airbox and a 300 (size) pipe and silencer. PM me with email address for piccies of what I got made if you need help. A 300 silencer on the 240 pipe may be ok as the restrictive back pipe will need increasing in size. You will need an adapter ring to fit the 212 front pipe in the 249 barrel. (I have a drawing for this also but...) I would suggest you buy a 301 front pipe and use the front part only. Either use it with the 240 expansion box or build the middle bit in 300 dimension.

A 300 front drum is nice but like hens teeth, falcons are the best for my liking.

You will need to chop the bottom rail on the frame to clear the flywheel and I would add a head steady as the 300s have. i wouldnt cut the bottom rails out completely as some do...personal choice.

A lot of people are modding the frame at the head, I just use 37cm shocks which steepens things a bit. The 303 forks are miles better than the 240 bits. Flog the extra bits on evil bay and you will cover the cost of all the new goodies needed.

Flat slide OKOS work great if the dellorto is buggered. After they are set up right that is.

maybe post some pictures as you progress...

Lee

Thanks for all the info Lee, very useful, I'll certainly give you a shout if I need help. It's way down the list of jobs to do though so it is months away from being looked at. It just seems to have happened, it was never planned, all I bought the 240 for was the forks really for my Bultaco but as I said, when I got it home it wasn't as rough as I'd thought and too good to break so...... like so many other things....

It would be nice to have it done to ride in the Manx next year but maybe a bit ambitious.

• 8 years later...