Sherco 4t Timing Chain Tensioner

higgypop

I think what you are hearing is the automatic compression release. I've heard it on other 4t's (non trials). At very low idle or tick over the cam isn't going fast enough to full disengage it. I think my 3.2 did it too, but I really can't remember.

Edited by sirhc

• 2 weeks later...

hi I retensioned the timing chain spring then reasembled the parts to the chain tensioner which gave it a stronger tension on the chain slides thus quietening any chain noise runs great now superb, infact I have had 2 montesa 4rts and it grips better than them and is easier to do trick riding because it feels alot lighter I would recommend these bikes I have owned all the other marquees except beta and it is superb

• 2 weeks later...

hi in response to how I got more tension on the timing chain tensioner

1, I first took it of then I remove the circlip that holds it together at this point the tensioner arm will pop out.

2, there is a bolt on the other end of the tensioner you need to take it off, you will now able to put tension on the spring with a small spade screw driver,

while you have still got tension reasemble the tensioner arm by screwing back on,

holding the parts together with the tension arm full retracted put the circlip back on.

3, If you have done the above correctly it will have more tension power than before you disasembled it I hope this helps, it made my engine alot quieter I hope this helps let me know how you go on