3.2 Hot Starting Problems

gregrsv

Hello

Ive just joined the forum after just getting an 07 sherco 3.2 four stroke (my first modern 4 stroke), It has been modified with a larger flywheel and smaller carb by John Bliss who rides one the same.

I have no problems starting from cold first kick usually , but when hot if stalled or after a fall(often) it refuses to start , ive tried selecting neutral , throttle closed , throttle wide open all the ussual things .

Tonight i blanked off the throttle pump jet to see if it made any difference so i'll try that tommorrow up the hill.

But if anyone has any hints or cures i'd much appreciate them , other than that its a great bike , although its going to take a bit of getting used to after my old REV3.

Also how often do you change the engine oil on these beasties?

greg

copemech

Its an OKO 24mm thats on mine , it looks like he's made a bespoke flywheel casing and also machined a back plate to enable the larger circumference f/w cover to be attached to the crankcase . so as you will envisage the flywheel has been increased in diameter a fair bit , is it easy to upload a photo on these forum thingys , that'll equal a thousand words.

It was John who said to block off the throttle pump when we spoke about the bad starting. i'll try it today and see if it has helped , and since blocking it off i'll have to see how it takes the throttle from low revs.

I'll keep you posted on how it behaves, anyway im off to fit a stator to my mates REV 3 it died yesterday up the hill and i phoned Lampkins for parts 3pm yesterday and theyve arrived today, pretty good service they provide.

Greg

try the air screw, that is the best solution. A very small turn can make a big difference.

Don't try another carb, because the standard is good enough.

There is an optional carb from Paxau, look o nthe sherco website. This carb is the normal one on the 09 series.

I don't know if you have a handle for hot starting on it. (was usual on the 05 series), that is also a solution.

Succes with it.

I guess I have to ask the stupid question? Why would one add a heavy flywheel and a small carb to a new 3.2? My 08 3.2 4T pulls like a tractor, it pulls strong from the bottom and then revs almost like a 2T. So what does the heavy flywheel and small carb do to the performance? I would think sluggish!

Wayne

Wayne

I bought the bike with the mods but i believe the flywheel mod improved grip in and driveability on the slippery stuff. It will also be less stall prone , I believe they are pretty fiery as std this will not suit all riders, and all terrains i suppose.

The top end will definetly suffer with the small carb but im not that great a rider to need a massive top end capability , but i certainly grips well , as well as my 250 rev 3 or any of the old ty250s that i had in the distant past.

Im going to try the std carb on it when i get a chance but ill wait till im fully used to it in its current config to get a better idea of how it affects it.

They used to put smaller carbs on the old pre-65 four strokes to improve thier bottom end performance it also help prevent engines coughing and stalling when throttle was applied to come up a bank oot of a realy slow section for instance.

I'll give you my verdict when ive ran it for a while .

Cheers

greg

• 3 weeks later...

on the starting front from cold I turn the idle screw a full turn clockwise with no throttle and it starts first or second kick let it warm up then turn the idle screw anti clockwise to set your desired tickover, if you have any problems when hot repeat this way and this starts mine again first or second kick hope that helps you mark

I guess I have to ask the stupid question? Why would one add a heavy flywheel and a small carb to a new 3.2? My 08 3.2 4T pulls like a tractor, it pulls strong from the bottom and then revs almost like a 2T. So what does the heavy flywheel and small carb do to the performance? I would think sluggish!

Wayne

Don't try to work it out wayne as Jon Bliss has some strange ideas. He is a 4 stroke fan and rumour has it he spent months trying to get the early 3.2 to work.

Big John:

Just have the update kit installed and the bike is a real treat. I am going to next put and exhaust from the 08 bike which is less restrictive. Still in love with the motor!

Hi Steve,

You still got that Fantic helmet I sold you?

I did have the hotstart upgrade fitted, but by then I had already bought the 4RT Montesa as a stop gap, then liked the Montesa!

Big John