Ignition Timing

kdub

Hi guys, just wondering how exactly the ignition timing is changed on my 06 sy250. Took the ignition cover off and all I see is flywheel.

I take it I need to remove the flywheel to get to the relevant parts.

Then what do I change and in what direction.

I done a few searches online and I can't get a definate description of the process or any pics to help me.

Cheers lads.

Ignition timing is adjusted by rotating the stator mounting plate. Yes you have to take the flywheel off to get to it. Your motor probably has adjusting slots for the screws that hold the stator mounting plate to the crankcase.

If you rotate the stator mounting plate in the same direction as the crankshaft rotates, you will be retarding the ignition ie it will spark later in the cycle than before you moved it.

If you rotate the stator mounting plate in the opposite direction to the way the crankshaft rotates, you will be advancing the ignition ie it will spark earlier in the cycle than before you moved it.

I hope this helps

Hi kdub,

We did this to a friends bike about a year ago, made up a flywheel puller, it's on pretty tight. Behind is the stator plate fixed with 2 or 3 phillips type screws, equally tight, replace with low profile allen head (socket screw) screws. Mark the original position, then rotate the plate clockwise to advance ignition, you can try moving 3mm from the original spot and see how that feels. Make sure the flywheel is on tight after.

If you need more response, weigh the flywheel, if it is close to 3 Kg it would be a standard weight, you can turn the outer surface down to reduce weight to 2,800 gms or a minimum of 2,650 gms for a snappy motor.

Bye, PeterB.

kdub - Follow the instructions as per Scorpa Australia ( bearing in mind this is retarding the ignition to UK spec! ) You need a flywheel puller, I used THIS It works very well!! You also need to get an Impact driver to undo the bolts holding the stator plate. The bolts will probably be scrap after whacking them so get some new ones, put some blue locktite on the threads and do them up with a screw driver hand tight because the threads are quite weak.

Easy!! :thumbup: