Fan Problem

grahambaskin

on my rev 3 07 the fan was not comming on at. i thought it may be the thermostat so i by-passed this and the fan came on straight away but when the bike is running on a low rev the fan would start and stop. any ideas on what this could be would be great, would the thermostat be sticking.

Probably the voltage regulator. Get a multimeter, connect to fan wires and check voltage - or take to dealer and get him to check.

This is most likely culprit but just check if the fan has become stiff to turn, if the idle is particularily slow the regulator may drop out of regulation resulting in insufficient power for a sticky fan.

• 2 weeks later...

The fan in my Techno failed, which I replaced with one from some common Japanese bike that I matched up at the wreckers. Cheap! Remember too, you can check the fan itself by powereing it up from a 12 volt battery. If it runs OK you will need to look further for the fault as mentioned above.

Cheers,

Stork.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had loads of problems with fans not working on ny 06 and 07 250 rev 3's. Done all the usual things, i.e. joined the connectors together, new thermostats etc only to realise the culprit was nothing more than a bad earth on the little black box which is tucked up above the radiator. Sorted this out some months ago and have not had a problem since.

Tone

Mine ended up being the voltage regulator. $55

After I got everything unhooked I could tell there was lots of dirt that could have potentially blocked conductivity of electricity. Also, the voltage regulator came off pretty easily which could result in a bad ground.

Glad that was the problem and not the fan! Good luck with your new bike, I think you will really like it.