Modern Footpegs For Old Montesa

jaan

AS a manufacturer of footrests I reckon you would be better off modifying the bike to take any of the aftermarket footrests availabe. One it gives you more choice, two it will be easier to replace in the event of damage and thirdly it it easier to modify your frame than to desighn & make a pair of footrests. I had three 348's when they were " fashionable" ( read a long time ago) but can't remember how footrests were mounted. If you are determined to go ahead with making one pair of footrests; most footrests are around 100 to 105 long x 40 wide. Its a trade off for getting between rocks etc and having leverage on the bike. Good luck with your project

In every case I'll replace the old style narrow rests, with home made or bought.

But do I need to relocate the mounting points? Have I to locate down, forwards or rearwards? Any ideas anyone?

Edited by Jaan

The latest trend is to relocate pegs of older bikes like yours a little lower and further back. How far is really a personal choice, perhaps you could make a temporary bracket that can be attached to the frame to enable adjustable positions. Try them and when you find the best for your height / riding style / handlebars etc.... then fix them permanantly.

As a comparison guide, take a look at a modern bike and see where the pegs sit. Imagine a line between the wheel spindles, how high are they in relation to that? How far back?

You may then have to relocate or fabricate a new rear brake pedal.

• 5 months later...