09 World Outdoor Dates

batunball

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there

This is my first post so thought would jump right in. I am the Chairman of the Lightweight Motor Cycle Club, and we are organising the Ireland Round of the SPEA FIM World Championship on the 4th and 5th of April. Reading your posts there has been a lot of speculation as to where the trial is going to be and if it is happening at all. First of all, yes there will be a trial and no it wont be in Bangor as it has been over the last 3 occasions we organised it. It wont be in Castlewellen either. We were working with Down District Council with respect to Castlewellen Forest Park, where we had ran previous British Round Trials, when it was suggested that Donard Park, Newcastle County Down, just a few miles down the road might make for a more interesting location. If anyone knows Newcastle as a location or Donard Park for that matter you can imagine how spectacular that would be with the Mourne Mountains in the background and the Irish Sea in the foreground, so needless to say we jumped at the chance. After a few very successful meeting with the Forestry Service, Mourne Heritate Trust and Down District Council, we knew we had an absolutely amazing venue and a truly spectacular course. So we announced it just before christmas and did a press release to a few places and now we are being the job of getting the word out there. If anyone needs any other info, please ask me and I will try my best to help. I have copied and pasted the press release below;

NEWCASTLE GEARS UP FOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TRIALS

The SPEA FIM Trial World Championship is set to bring more than 15,000 visitors to Down District next year when the Adelaide GP of Ireland is staged for the first time in Donard Forest, Newcastle, it was announced

today, 22ND December 2008.

The first and second round of the 2009 SPEA FIM (Federation Internationale Motocycliste) World Championship to be held on 4th & 5th April will attract competitors from all over the world supported by an enthusiastic entourage of international fans. It will also create three days of dramatic sporting spectacle for local people.

The Lightweight Motor Cycle Club, the organisers of the Adelaide GP of Ireland, have already brought 3 different Trial World Championships to Northern Ireland, have been working tirelessly to bring the event back to our shores and are extremely excited about the new venue which will offer new challenges to the Competitors and an outstanding sporting spectacle for the fans. The Club is also looking forward to working with Down District

Council and making this a truly exceptional weekend of sport. We would also like to thank the N.I. Forest Service for accommodating stages of the event within Donard Forest.

The battle to secure the event for the region is almost as hotly contested as the Trials and Councillor Colin McGrath, Chairman of Down District Council, was obviously delighted to see Newcastle successful in its bid. He said, "This is a fabulous international sporting occasion which injects real economic benefits into the region which is fortunate enough to host it. Competitors, their support teams and travelling fans will, on average, stay three or four nights in the Borough and there will also be a major influx of spectators from across Ireland on short stay breaks and day trips. Add to that the television and media opportunities associated with bringing an international sporting spotlight onto the region and it's small wonder that so many areas are anxious to host the Adelaide GP of Ireland. We're thrilled to have been able to secure the event for Down District and I would like to congratulate the team who have been working so hard behind the scenes on this and other soon to be announced attractions, which will combine

to make our region the events capital of Northern Ireland in 2009 and beyond!"

"While arrangements for the Trials will be kept firmly under wraps until a formal launch in February, it is safe to say that Donard Forest is an absolutely superb venue with an excellent course. And everyone will be making tracks for Newcastle over the weekend of 4th & 5th of April!"

Note to News Editors

Diary date: The News Conference to announce details of the Adelaide GP of Ireland will be held on Tuesday 17th February at the Slieve Donard Hotel, Newcastle. Formal press and media invitations will be circulated in due course.

Adelaide Insurance Service Ltd are a Belfast Northern Ireland based insurance company providing personal insurance for car, motorcycle, home and travel to:

1. Motorcyclists UK-wide and in the Republic of Ireland;

2. Teachers in Northern Ireland;

3. The Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) UK-wide.

Further Details available at www.adelaideinsurance.com

Details on last years event can be found at www.worldtrialni.co.uk and more details about the Lightweight Motor Club can be found at www.lightweightclub.co.uk

For further information please contact the Lightweight MCC Press Officer, Jarleth Downey

This sounds mega, sounds like its going to be a great opener to the season. :thumbup:

Really looking forward to it.

If only we had English District Councils fighting over who could host a World Trials GP. :thumbup:

Cya next April.

Yeah, its bit of an understatement to say we are excited about where we are going. Bangor was always good, but this new venue should be amazing. Dont want to give to much away, but we could be looking at every type of section from quarries, to forests, to rivers and even beaches :thumbup:

I am working on updating our site, www.worldtrialni.co.uk as much as possible, but all feedback is welcome and spread the word please. Also any advice on any other sites or clubs we should be notifying is much appreciated.

Definitely, I will be adding full maps and directions from Belfast and Dublin, as well as pointing people in the right direction for accommodation. Would flight info be helpful?

I've been hunting best fares from Chicago to Belfast the last couple days.

Edited by City Trials

Definitely, I will be adding full maps and directions from Belfast and Dublin, as well as pointing people in the right direction for accommodation. Would flight info be helpful?

Flight information is very important, I imagine a good number of people will make the trip from UK and no doubt a few from Europe as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

i have the office site up and running now, with lots of info about the new location and local area. I will also be adding some details about a travel promotion we have going on for Ferries into Belfast and Dublin. The site is www.worldtrialni.co.uk let me know what you all think and if I am missing anything obvious, please drop me a message via the site.

cheers!!