Questions, Tys125,175,200 And Sy250

njtrials

Slightly different question, the small Scorpas have caught my eye and would like some input from those of you in the know.

I'm thinking of moving into the modern ranks with a used bike a few years old, all the new ones are too expensive. Already have a '85 TY, I am also on the small side only about 140-145 pounds, currently riding the three line of four hoping to go to the two.

What are the pros and cons (good/bad) of the small aircooled Scorpas (125,175,200)? How would you contrast them with the SY250?

Same questions as above, what can you tell me about the SY250? The lack of suspension linkage appeals to me, should it? How does everyone feel about Scorpa suspension? There are none near where I live, so I can't try one. I need all the info I can get to make a wise choice. I'm going to check out Beta and Montesa also, think I will skip GG and Sherco. Keep the comments coming, I'm interested in what everyone has to say.

The only down side to the small Scorpas is the lack of power for large climbs. I mean large Expert class climbs. Otherwise the Scorpa is light, simple, inexpensive and effective. I have seen a 175 drive right by me on a hill where I stuck on a 250 Beta. I needed to use 3rd gear and work at it to get up and the 175 Longride consistently drove right up in first with no great rider effort. I've also seen Ishy clean a nasty piece of uphill creek on a SY125 where I couldn't do better than a three all day on my Sy250. They are impressive little machines. :D

With all due respect to DonD I think this says more about trials being 'all about the rider' rather than 'all about the bike'....

The little Scorpa's are great little machine but remember that the engines are still modified trail bike engines, whilst the SY250 is a 'proper' trials developed engine and machine. I think the issue is more relevant to what sort of rider you are, what you are intending to do with the bike (trail ride or proper trials) and what sort of rider you hope to become ( maybe looking to improve as a trials rider from novice to inter/expert?). If the latter then I think the SY25o would be your best bet.

I had Scorpa's for three years (SY250's) and like all machines they are very reliable if looked after. No issues with the suspension, the Yamaha engine is pretty bulletproof and there are some great tips on the Birkett website if you look for the document on preparation for the Scottish. (John Lampkin also has a similar one for Beta riders..) As a bike I always thought that the SY250 was very forgiving - they grip well - and flatter one's ability!

As with all bikes it is far better to try one at a trial, as what suits one person will not suit another! There are plenty of good bikes out there (second hand) and as I mentioned earlier it is perhaps more important how well a bike has been looked after rather than what make it is, when considering second hand bikes of similar asking price/age. The Beta and Montesa ranges all have good build quality and if looked after will give years of good service. The Beta 200 is a great little bike and very underestimated in my opinion....

Hope this helps!

Good comments so far, keep them coming.

I do intend to use it for trials competition and my goal is to get much better. My expenditure for a modern bike has to last me a long time. The lack of linkgage appeals to me because of a reduced amount of maintenance. That is one reason for my interest in Scorpa, but also Beta. I understand there might be a few Montesas for sale in my area as well so I need to keep an open mind.

Edited by NJTrials

The missus rides a 163cc Scorpa. It is a great little bike that does not bite back, but finds grip where other fail! No, it is not a hop & skip bike, but a great novice bike that drives where you point it, without any fuss. It thrives on being bossed about & plenty of throttle at the correct moment. Never had any mechanical issues with it in the 18 months we have owned it other than consumables. It is still on the same chain, sprockets & plug, but I have changed wheel & head bearings. N.B. it does get used almost every weekend in either a practice or a trial. Change the oil regularly, check the tappets once in a while & blow out the carb jets regularly (some of the jets are so small they get blocked & ruin the smoothe running) & the bike purrs like a cat.

On the strength of this little bike I bought a Scorpa 250FR & that is the same, but with more power, I love it!!

LOONAL